I'd like to put Super8 on DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 15th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

I'd like to put Super8 on DVD

But I'd like to master the DVDs myself. So, what I'd like is for a lab to convert my 2000 feet or so of Super8 to a 4:4:4 format and put on a hard drive.

Since I'm going to DVD, 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 would also work, but I'd love to archive them in 4:4:4, not to mention color correction. I'll leave it to you to tell me if that's overkill for Super8. I already figured Hi Def would be overkill.

Anyway, does anyone know of any trustworthy mail-order labs that would do this for me? Or one in NYC, so I wouldn't have to use the mail? Thanks!
Hal Snook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 12:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I'd suggest getting in touch with Matt Trubac. He's a member here, and a good guy, who could probably do the job well for you.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/member.php?u=6042

http://www.truvisionstudios.com/
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

If you're really looking for the ultimate archiving for that Super8 I wouldn't put my blind faith in archiving to DVD. The real life span of DVDs is really unknown. Many have not stood to to the test of time. Problems with the chemicals that make up the dye, DVD rot, UV destruction are some of the un-expected problems affecting the DVD industry.
It's possible that the disc that you archive to may not work a year or two from now.
I believe the best archive at this time in history is still the original film or digital tape.
Allen W
Allen Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info, Robert!

Allen, in addition to hanging on to the film, I'd like to hang on to the digital copy from the telecine, perhaps on a hard drive for the time being.

The DVD will be a gift for members of my family.
Hal Snook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #5
Major Player

Hal,

I use http://www.pro8mm.com/main.php for my super 8 transfers/telecine. They do excellent work and have been around for many many years, BUT....they are out here in California. If you happen to use them, I suggest shipping through Fed Ex.....and NO WAY would I ever use the United States Postal Service to ship anything I cared about.

Good luck. Joe
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #6
Major Player

I can second Pro8mm. They are not cheap but are the most professional transfer house I know of for super8. Knowing this I build the work we do into the price of production.
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring