4:3 Letterbox - 16:9 for DVD FCP/DVDSP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 20th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #1
Major Player

4:3 Letterbox - 16:9 for DVD FCP/DVDSP

Just looking for an indication of advisable workflows for someone with a Final Cut Studio setup, so FCP, Compressor and DVD Studio Pro are my available tools.

I've got a Project which was acquired in 4:3 DVCAM, has been mastered to a letterboxed Digibeta, and I have a MiniDV output.

I'm looking at doing an output to DVD, but want to utilise the feature I've been reading about of most DVD players to play 16:9 without letterboxing on widescreen TV's and letterbox on regular TV's. I understand if I just output the straight file, it will only playback in the letterbox form.

Anyone had any experienced cropping a 4:3 letterboxed master, then outputting the cropped result as 16:9 file for DVD encoding?

Advised workflows, cleve ideas, problems I could face?

Obviously I'll be losing resolution AND blowing up the picture when it is output to a widescreen TV so there could be pixelation, but I would rather give them the option of watching full screen than watching both a simultaneously letter and pillboxed image to get the proper aspect ratio.

(The project was a short film, and we decided to master to letterbox because the majority of uses for the master would be screenings at from digital projectors.)
Craig Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #2
Major Player

I usually make 16:9 DVDs from 16:9 footage, but I have an idea. Once you are done editing, nest your sequence. Change the sequence's settings (Command-0) and set it to Anamorphic 16:9. Then drag the next into the viewer, click the motion tab, then distort. Enter 33.33 (for NTSC source footage at least.) That will make your footage 16:9 ratio. You may need to zoom in to cut off the black bars on the top and bottom, but you will have a 16:9 project. Export using the Compressor setting DVD 16:9, either 90 or 120 minutes, Highest Quality or Fastest Encode. Then make a DVDSP project and set it up how you would a regular 16:9 project.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring