720p60 to NTSC DVD = not going well yet at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 24th, 2007, 03:08 PM   #1
Major Player

720p60 to NTSC DVD = not going well yet

When I go out and shoot an event the primary destination will be HD DVD or Blu-Ray so I happily shoot 720p60 on the HD200.

Editing the footage is not a problem using FCP's AIC.

It would be nice to be able to deliver SD DVD's too but I have not had much luck getting a nice image. Unfortunately 480p60 is not a standard, at least I don't think so.

Is anyone else making nice SD DVD's that play well on consumer players? What's your workflow. FCP workflows appreciated.

The BR-HD50 downconverts but the image quality is not great. I wonder if Decklink or Kona would do a better hardware downconvert. Anyone tried this?

Thanks!
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 06:53 PM   #2
Wrangler

Did you try a DVD Mpeg2 preset in Compressor? 720P60 will have to be handles one of two ways.

You can either convert it to NTSC at 60i (480i60), using each frame as an alternating field. This will maintain the temporal "video" look.

The alternative is to skip every other frame and create a NTSC 30P file (480p30).

Let me know which one you would prefer and I can give you a detailed workflow.
Old March 25th, 2007, 04:10 PM   #3
Major Player

Tim,

Thanks for the reply. I think 480p30 is what I'm going for as these clients would all have consumer HD televisions hooked up to consumer SD DVD players.

Wouldn't skipping every other frame result in fast motion?

BTW- I haven't tried compressor as I work with Bitvice which may be the problem here. I'll try a compressor preset and see what happens.

I'd love to hear your workflow.

Last edited by Justin Ferar; March 25th, 2007 at 04:43 PM.
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #4
Major Player

Why are you shooting 60p if you know the end result will go to DVD.
Why not shoot 30p to begin with? Saving hours of work and rendering.
Mike Schrengohst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schrengohst View Post
Why are you shooting 60p if you know the end result will go to DVD.
Why not shoot 30p to begin with? Saving hours of work and rendering.
Hi Mike,

Actually most distribution will be HD. It's the odd few ones that I need to author a SD DVD for.

BTW- I'm having much better results with compressor after switching from Bitvice regarding temporal motion. Compressor produced a nice 480i result. I tried a 480p by switching the field dominance in the preset to "progressive" but it appears to be exactly the same result as interlaced "lower"- no difference at all.

Hmm.
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring