Can a Mac make HD DVD? can it play one!? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 31st, 2007, 04:39 PM   #1
Major Player

Can a Mac make HD DVD? can it play one!?

I've made an HD DVD on studio pro, mac G5 computer. I took it to the apple store and tested it on a computer, trying to find one that plays HD DVDs. It played on a macMini. Then the salesman told me macmini can't play HD DVDs. I said "I'm looking at it play right now." and he told me it can play but not in HD.
Then a professional told me G5s can't make HD DVDs and I didn't really make one. DVD Studio pro says it is making an HD DVD but that is because eventually they will make a mac that can burn one. Until then it lies to you.

1. Can I make a HD DVD (with my HDV video) on ANY G5 computer?

2. What type of Mac computer can I play it on!?

3. What happens if I play the HD DVD on a regular DVD player: plays in SD or not at all? (I can't test all this, I don't own a G5)
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 07:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Unless the Mac or PC has a HD-DVD Rom drive, you cannot read or playback "true" HD DVDs---such as commercial HD DVD movies you buy in the store.

These discs are *physically* different and requires a different type of drive with a different type of laser to read them.

That is why the guy at the store told you that you can't play back HD DVDs.

There are no Macs currently available with a HD DVD drive.

As you have already found out, you can create a HD DVD compliant disc with DVDSP 4.1.2 and burn it on red laser DVD-R's. These HD DVD's on red laser DVD-Rs will play on any Macintosh computer that is fast enough to play HD material.

These discs will also play on a set top Toshiba HD DVD Player.

These HD DVD on red laser dvd will not play on a regular DVD player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric Mannion View Post
I've made an HD DVD on studio pro, mac G5 computer. I took it to the apple store and tested it on a computer, trying to find one that plays HD DVDs. It played on a macMini. Then the salesman told me macmini can't play HD DVDs. I said "I'm looking at it play right now." and he told me it can play but not in HD.
Then a professional told me G5s can't make HD DVDs and I didn't really make one. DVD Studio pro says it is making an HD DVD but that is because eventually they will make a mac that can burn one. Until then it lies to you.

1. Can I make a HD DVD (with my HDV video) on ANY G5 computer?

2. What type of Mac computer can I play it on!?

3. What happens if I play the HD DVD on a regular DVD player: plays in SD or not at all? (I can't test all this, I don't own a G5)
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 11:36 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Iīm afraid you are wrong John

If you have one of the newer Macīs you can watch your HD movies made in DVD Studio Pro

Here is a link where you can read more about it

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...vds_young.html
Old June 2nd, 2007, 01:21 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Ledel View Post
I´m afraid you are wrong John

If you have one of the newer Mac´s you can watch your HD movies made in DVD Studio Pro

Here is a link where you can read more about it

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...vds_young.html

If you read my post again, you will see I said that.

Home made HD-DVD's from DVD Studio Pro on red laser DVD-Rs will play on a Mac and on a Toshiba HD DVD player.

You cannot read 15/30gig HD DVDs on a Mac unless it is equipped with a HD DVD-Rom drive.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 02:02 PM   #5
Regular Crew

OOoooppppsss, you are right

I really need to get some sleep before I try to read any more english :-)

Cheers and Good Night

Hans

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring