one DVD works, one doesn't at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 6th, 2003, 11:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

one DVD works, one doesn't

I've just reinstalled Ulead DVD workshop. I've never had a problem playing DVDs burnt from this program. I'm using Verbatimn DataLife Plus +R disks, though I guess I have two batches because the faces of one pack are white and the faces of another are silver and purple. Since I've reinstalled it, the new DVDs burnt on the silver and purple faces wont play in my machine. However, if I copy the old white faced one to one of the new ones using a general copy program there is no problem.

Does this sound like a mysterious settings problem or encoder problem? I'm using Tmpgenc for encoding.

Thanks
Annie
Annie Cheatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2003, 06:10 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

This sounds like a disc problem. You are using different disc
batch and you can't read it anymore. Seems to me like your
player doens't like the new batch very much....

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2003, 04:17 PM   #3
Major Player

I saw this post yesterday and gave it some thought.

This does not sound like a disc problem. You've proven that your player will play the "silver & purple" disc, but only if you burn first to the "white" disc, then make a copy.

That also means it's not an encoding problem unless DVD WorkShop is encoding again after you use TMPGenc.

Unless I'm missing something, this sounds like a problem with DVD WorkShop. That sounds weird, and I don't know the facts because I don't use WorkShop, but I've found that different pieces of software burn DVDs differently. So this could be a difference in the way DVD WorkShop burns a DVD vs. the way your copy program burns one.

This could lead to one other possibility. If the software is burning differently, it could mean that your player is sensitive to the silver & purple media unless it is recorded just so.

I'd take the various DVDs you've made so far and try some other players. If you can get the S&P disc that was burned directly to play in another player, then you will know that your player is sensitive to the media.
Will Fastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 01:57 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the responses!

I think it must be the program. For some magical reason (after a good bit of waiting, toying, and reinstalling) its decided it will burn readable DVDs again.

I wonder if anyone else has had this problem with Ulead DVD Workshop. Let me know if so.

Annie C
Annie Cheatham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring