Just got my DVD burner (Sony DRU500AX) few questions regarding authoring...... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old May 14th, 2003, 07:43 AM   #1
Wrangler

Just got my DVD burner (Sony DRU500AX) few questions regarding authoring......

I just picked up my Sony DRU500AX multi-format DVD burner. I installed the included Sonic MYDVD software but have, since, been looking for a more robust authoring suite. In doing so I have compiled a few questions:

1.Is it bad to have multible DVD authoring programs installed at the same time? I know it might be a stretch but do they interfere with one another.

2.What authoring software do you guys use? Any feedback on DVDit vs Ulead DVD Workshop? I've tried both and kinda prefer DVD Workshop over DVDit however I was unable to burn a DVD+R. It ejected the disc while burning when it was at the 98% mark, so I immediatly knew something was wrong. I just want to make sure the full retail version of the software wont have this problem.
Regarding DVDit, it seems ok though some of the features don't work properly. (ie I'm supposed to be able to nudge chapter markers one frame at a time if I highlight the chapter maker and hit the left and right arrow keys. When I do so it doesn't move at all. Also when I review the footage and go frame by frame using the arrow keys to go forward and backward, if I hold one of the arrow keys down to kinda play the footage in slow motion it crashes the program. UGH I hope all DVD Authoring Software isn't this buggy.
I can't wait for Adobe Encore DVD whenever they decide to release it!
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 08:15 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Glen,

I have the Sony 500 burner, and am running MyDVD and Impression DVD LE on the same machine. There are no conflicts between the two programs, but MyDVD has more features for a limited program. I'll probably be shopping for a more full-featured authoring application later this year. Encore DVD looks pretty good, and I know some people that are using the full version of Impression DVD and they swear by it.

I have not had great luck with MyDVD and +R disks. I don't know if it is the burner, the software, the disks, or the players, but I've only been able to get my +R disks to play back in my two DVD drives on my PC, and one of my set-top DVD players. They refuse to play back in any other player I've tried. The -R disks have been bullet-proof. I'd be curious to hear any other experiences with +R disks and the Sony 500 burner.

Rick
Old May 14th, 2003, 09:38 AM   #3
Wrangler

Rick, I've had no problems with the DVD+R media at least when authored/burned via MYDVD. I got the +R discs because it specified on the spindle that it was 2.0 media and 4x compatable (though I think I have to do the firmware update for the DRU500 to be able to burn 4x). The -R Verbatim that I saw (in Best Buy) just said "General" on it with no designation which version media it was or burning speed it supports.
What -R media are you using with your DRU500? Does it designate a compatable speed on the packaging. Also MYDVD only lets you burn at "Fast" or "Slow/more compatable" modes. Do you know what actual burning speeds they are?

Lastly, did you do the firmware update for your DRU500? I read the directions and it said to specifically disable DMA prior to doing the firmware update for the drive. Now as far as I know I can access the drive's DMA setting thru Device Manager...but I can't find it on XP Home anywhere?!
Old May 14th, 2003, 10:26 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I have not done a firmware update on the drive, so that could be my problem. I'll have to download that this afternoon. I've been using the Memorex +R and -R disks. The packaging for the Memorex disks doesn't specify a burn speed. In MyDVD, the only option I have for burn speed it "Auto", so I'm assuming it's burning at the maximum speed the disk is rated. I haven't found a player that couldn't read the -R disks from the 500.

Rick
Old May 14th, 2003, 01:48 PM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

It shouldn't be a probem to have multiple authoring programs. I have used DVDit PE and DVD Architect. Both are installed on the same system.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 02:08 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Rick
i am curious to hear yr results from upgrading.
I did this a time agoo in dec 2002. May be there is a better update. I still have no luck with +R and the DRU-500 and face the same problems.
A friend bought the newer DRU500AX and could read + R without any problem. I am afraid we bought the DRU-500 to quick.

Anyone else have similar experiences maybe? I like to hear !
Jan Roovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 02:11 PM   #7
Regular Crew

DVD authoring software

Does anyone have experience with the new TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.0.4.22?
http://www.pegasys-inc.com/e_main.html
Jan Roovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 02:19 PM   #8
Wrangler

Hmm maybe that's Rick's problem as well. See I have the *new* DRU 500AX, maybe he has an earlier version of the 500.
Old May 14th, 2003, 04:18 PM   #9
RED Code Chef

Most authoring packages should co-exist nicely. Some burning
programs might not though. Be careful with those.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2003, 05:42 AM   #10
Major Player

Just got my DVD burner (Sony DRU500AX) few questions

I'm having trouble sorting between authoring software that accepts AC-3 and that which generates it. What options are you aware of, in the mid-price range, that will convert wav to ac-3 in the authoring process? (PC please).

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2003, 10:00 AM   #11
RED Code Chef

The only one I'm aware of is Vegas DVD Architect. There are
probably some other ones, but I don't know them. I don't have
any personal experience with Architect's AC3 encoder so cannot
tell you whether it is good/handy etc.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 10:24 AM   #12
Wrangler

Ulead DVD Workshop has an edition that does AC3.
Old May 16th, 2003, 09:55 PM   #13
Inner Circle

"any personal experience with Architect's AC3 encoder so cannot
tell you whether it is good/handy etc."
One of the reasons i changed from realdvd to architect was for this feature alone...

ptu it this way, to get teh most out of it, its best to render the ac3 thru Vegas and have your 5.1 keyframes set to bus tracks and have your keyframed pans happening etc etc etc...
once you have the ac3, jsut render the video to mpg2 with no audio...

run architect and add each video and ac3 file seperately (dead easy), it will embed the 2 into one VOB dvd file (or split em, depending)

You can encode a stereo track to 5.1 but you dont get the benefits of the 5.1 panning, which is why i import the ac3 file from vegas... you can also encode to ac3 dolby stereo....
This with gettin teh DVD authoring app to encode the audio, is that you miss out on the customisable asect of teh audio render...
If u render from the timeline thou, you can set the bitrate, delay, aspect, LFE etc etc

one thing to note, you can only render AC3 from within Vegas if you have the SF SoftEncode app...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 09:57 PM   #14
Inner Circle

pardon the atrocious typing, i was going too fast for my own good.. LOL
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2003, 05:18 AM   #15
Sponsor: JET DV

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Jefferson : pardon the atrocious typing, i was going too fast for my own good.. LOL -->>>

Of course, you COULD use the EDIT feature to correct it :-)
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring