Good DVD Authoring Software Other than DVD Architect at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 11th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Good DVD Authoring Software Other than DVD Architect

Hi everyone:

I currently use DVD Architect 3.0 on a Sony VGC-RC310G computer and an error message has always prevented me from burning DVDs with Architect. After trying several things, I gave up on that problem. But, I happened to a have a copy of the trial version of InterVideo WinDVD creator lying around, so I installed that and it actually burned a DVD from a file I had on the computer. But, this program is primitive and basic so I was wondering what the names are of some good authoring programs that can do roughly what DVD Architect does but are NOT DVD Architect. I don't have any experience with other professional authoring software programs and it took me awhile just to learn Architect. The project I'm working with is almost an hour long and at the miniumum, I just want an authoring program that will burn with the highest possible bit-rate and will burn additional copies quickly once a file is pre-rendered. Fancy menus would be nice but I'm willing to live without those for the sake of efficiecy and increased resolution. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tristan
Tristan Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Encore is faily simple once you get the basics down. And with the new CS3 collection, Preimere and Encore talk alot more to each other then 1.5 (what i'm using until CS3 products are released)
Tom McDougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 02:04 PM   #3
Trustee

Try the trial version of DVDLAB PRO. Quick learning curve and many advanced features. I have yet to burn a coaster so far.

Regards,
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #4
Trustee

I second both suggestions, Encore for the work flow with PP, PS and AE, and DVDLab Pro for the easy but very powerful approach. Both have trial versions so you can try them and then decide. I have used both and each has their own strength's.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #5
Trustee

If I want to do something DVD Architect can't do, I use DVD-lab PRO. The interface is quirky, so I avoid it when possible.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 01:40 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll look into them.

Regards,
Tristan
Old June 13th, 2007, 06:31 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Howard View Post
The project I'm working with is almost an hour long and at the miniumum, I just want an authoring program that will burn with the highest possible bit-rate and will burn additional copies quickly once a file is pre-rendered. Fancy menus would be nice but I'm willing to live without those for the sake of efficiecy and increased resolution. Any input would be appreciated.
Burning with the highest possible bitrate is not necessarily a function of the Authoring Program. Programs like DVDA, Encore DVD 2, DVD Workshop all have a builtin mpeg encoder. DVDLab PRO does not have a high-quality mpeg encoder -- it is an authoring tool that expects you to know how to prepare your assets externally, and then DLP will then allow you to Author using the prepared assets. Having DVDA3, you can use Vegas 6.x to render your mpegs, and then use those assets in your DVDA Projects.

In terms of burning your initial (and multiple) copies, I would recommend burning an IMAGE file (or DVD Folders) from your Authoring application. You can then use burning tools to burn that Image (or DVD Folders) properly to disc. I use the latest version of IMGBURN to burn my DVD's.

In terms of SD DVD Authoring features and flexibility -- DVDLab PRO will give you the most options, and full control by allowing you to write your own scripts (VM Code). DVDA4 also has some basic scripting (pseudo code really -- not low-level scripting, and it is very basic).

Encore 2.0 has alot of SD DVD Authoring features -- but is missing Buttons Over Video and Multiple Angles (and has an issue with more than ~19 Chapter Playlists).

Encore 3 CS will add Blu-Ray authoring (something DLP and DVDA don't offer). I don't suspect DVDA to ever incorporate HD-DVD Authoring, but maybe some basic Blu-Ray authoring in the future???

I heard the folks at Mediachance were looking into HD DVD Authoring (HD-DVD and/or Blu-Ray). But I wouldn't expect anything until 2008 at the earliest from them.

Ulead offers DVD MovieFactory 6 Plus that has basic HD-DVD Authoring, and direct-to-disc for Blu-Ray authoring (no menus on the BD Discs). Their SD DVD Authoring is NOT as flexible as the other applications listed above -- it's more Wizard/Template driven.

Regards,
George
George Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 09:25 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Everyone,

Thanks for the input. And, welcome aboard George. I appreciate the information. I downloaded Adobe Encore DVD 1.0 and DVD-Lab Pro 2. I'm not thrilled with Encore and right now I'm trying to figure out the best way to encode my main .avi video file to a format that is compatible with DVD-Lab pro, which seems powerful but discerning.

Regards,
Tristan
Old June 16th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Howard View Post
Everyone,

Thanks for the input. And, welcome aboard George. I appreciate the information. I downloaded Adobe Encore DVD 1.0 and DVD-Lab Pro 2. I'm not thrilled with Encore and right now I'm trying to figure out the best way to encode my main .avi video file to a format that is compatible with DVD-Lab pro, which seems powerful but discerning.

Regards,
Tristan
Hi Tristan (thanks for the welcome)

Encore DVD 2.0 probably has more features than version 1.0 (I'm not sure, I only used the TRIAL of version 2.0)

Regarding a format compatible with DVDLab PRO -- it basically takes any dvd-compliant source (can even import the mpegs from previously authored DVD's). Since you have DVD Architect 3, you should also have Vegas -- which can output a dvd-compliant mpeg to feed into DVDLab PRO. I use the DVD NTSC Video Stream (use PAL if that's your format). And also render out a corresponding audio file. Then use these elementary streams in DVD Lab Pro.

Regards,
George
George Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I appreciate the information and everything but I'm having a hard time with DVD Lab Pro. If it's so great, I don't understand why it can't handle regular .avi files. I'm guessing it's because the pros use video that's prepared and compressed beyond an avi format. I've tried various mpeg renderings in Vegas 6.0 and all of them greatly reduce the picture quality. I also haven't been able to burn mpegs with DVD lab pro, which is a bit over my head. I understand that .avi is compressed at some point when it goes to DVD but I'd prefer software that could easily handle .avi files. So far, I haven't been able to burn in Encore, so I think I'll check out what Ulead Movie Factory and Imgburn can do. I'm glad there are so many trial versions of things.

Regards,
Tristan
Old June 17th, 2007, 11:43 AM   #11
Major Player

DVD Architect 4.0 <wink> :)
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #12
Major Player

I use Dvdit 6 pro and it's somewhat buggy. I've had complex projects that have suddenly refused to load, so I had to start from scratch. and sonic's support is non-existent!

I use premiere pro 2 so I think I'll look into encore cs3- if it supports scripting and buttons over video
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring