DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-crop-sensor-aps-c-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   7D movie and picture sample (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-crop-sensor-aps-c-sample-clips-gallery/346625-7d-movie-picture-sample.html)

Bunseng Chuor September 1st, 2009 12:55 AM

7D movie and picture sample

Canon: EOS 7D Sample Images & Movies

Bill Pryor September 1st, 2009 09:30 AM

AUUGGHHHHH!!! Damn those people at Canon--Trains going by and NO rolling shutter effect. Now I want one! If the footage had had the tearing I've seen from other cameras, I wouldn't want it. Now I've gotta have one. Curses!

Noah Yuan-Vogel September 1st, 2009 09:57 AM

i assume the oversharpening and highlight clipping is just poorly processed footage and/or bad picture profile. i am a bit impressed i dont see any jello going on on the extremely shaky motorcycle pov shot, but it might just be too fast to see anything.

Mike Paterson September 1st, 2009 10:13 AM

actually there is plenty rolling shutter on the train if you pause it on a frame with the dark gap between carriages. Bad as ever.

Chad Nickle September 1st, 2009 10:19 AM

The shaky car footage proves it for me, looks great!

Bill Pryor September 1st, 2009 10:25 AM

I'll check it out again, but if I can't see it when it's playing at normal speed, I can live with it. Could be the train is going too fast. However, they have some other shots at slower speeds with lots of vertical lines and I don't see any problems.

Rick Hill September 1st, 2009 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor (Post 1298172)
I'll check it out again, but if I can't see it when it's playing at normal speed, I can live with it. Could be the train is going too fast. However, they have some other shots at slower speeds with lots of vertical lines and I don't see any problems.

Here's a sample: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/1296869-post12.html

Bill Pryor September 1st, 2009 11:06 AM

I wonder what happens with slower horizontal movement. In the Nikon footage I saw, the image would tear, like the bottom half of a vertical line was behind the top half. It was really noticeable. I didn't see this black thing when playing at normal speed.

Robert Lane September 3rd, 2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor (Post 1298028)
AUUGGHHHHH!!! Damn those people at Canon--Trains going by and NO rolling shutter effect...!

Actually the rolling shutter effect is *huge* as the train passes by up close in the opening of the clip. Take a look at it again: the black lines between the cars are completely skewed from top to bottom as a diagonal. However when you see the train in the far shot crossing over the river it's clear those black lines between train-cars are in fact perfectly vertical.

This is also evident in every telephone pole and building that passes by from the inside-train view.

Unfortunately there's no getting away from the side effects of a rolling shutter; maybe at some point Canon - and other's brands using rolling shutters - will create software in-camera to compensate for skew but for today it's a very evident and potentially nasty "gotcha" that you must be aware of with either fast moving objects or camera panning.

Michael Murie September 3rd, 2009 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Lane (Post 1307039)
Unfortunately there's no getting away from the side effects of a rolling shutter; maybe at some point Canon - and other's brands using rolling shutters - will create software in-camera to compensate for skew but for today it's a very evident and potentially nasty "gotcha" that you must be aware of with either fast moving objects or camera panning.

RollingShutter might be worth getting. It certainly looks impressive: RollingShutter Reminds Us That While Jello Wiggles, Videos Should Not - Rollingshutter - Gizmodo

The rolling shutter I have seen on the 5D and 7D samples seems to be much lower than the D90 samples I've seen. I think I could mostly live with the examples seen in the 7D

Dan Brockett September 3rd, 2009 02:19 PM

I agree with the assertion that nobody in the world cares about rolling shutter artifacts except video people. In every instance, I have had to point it out to family members and friends on shows I have shot with CMOS cameras with rolling shutter.

It's all us people, nobody else gives a ****

Dan

Jon Fairhurst September 3rd, 2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 1307671)
I agree with the assertion that nobody in the world cares about rolling shutter artifacts except video people...

Same with aliasing. Aliasing didn't stop NTSC from earning trillions of dollars for the industry over its lifetime.

Dan Brockett September 3rd, 2009 04:49 PM

Good one Jon, I totally agree. Most people in our line of work worry far too much about the techno geek nitpicking search for the "perfect" camera and image and not enough on the writing, concept, storyline, directing and acting.

Dan

Yang Wen September 3rd, 2009 04:57 PM

Did anyone not see those shaking car footage? The roller is almost none existent!

How often do you film passing trains perpendicularly?

Daniel Browning September 3rd, 2009 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1308014)
Same with aliasing. Aliasing didn't stop NTSC from earning trillions of dollars for the industry over its lifetime.

Yeah. Aliasing, interlace twitter, skew, oversharpening, oversaturation, OOF shots, cockeyed horizon, poor resolution, wonky compression artifacts, clipped audio, and tons more. Most people don't care one whit about any of that stuff, yet it all drives me absolutely crazy. I want to claw my eyes out sometimes.