"Dublin's People" shot in FULL HD 1080p 24p at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD > EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery

EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery
Post your EOS M / 60D / 7D / Rebel clips here... Vimeo and YouTube links will automatically embed a player right in the post.

Old September 7th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #1
"Dublin's People" shot in FULL HD 1080p 24p
Phil Bloom Phil Bloom is offline September 7th, 2009, 06:42 PM

here is my new short "Dublin's People" Shot in FULL HD 1080p 24p native with some 720p 50p slow motion. Ungraded

Philip Bloom Blog Archive Dublin’s People: Shot on a Canon 7d in native 24p

Phil Bloom
Trustee
Views: 6706
Old September 7th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
What I'd like is an adapter that would allow me to use my ancient but excellent Pre-AI Nikkor lenses on the Canon. I have a 24, 35, 50 micro, 105, 135, and 200.
You can have the pre-Ai lenses converted to Ai quite easily. And if you have a pre-F series cam that you use with them, you can replace it with an F4 or F5 for cheap.
Old September 7th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
here is my new short "Dublin's People" Shot in FULL HD 1080p 24p native with some 720p 50p slow motion. Ungraded

Philip Bloom Blog Archive Dublin’s People: Shot on a Canon 7d in native 24p
Nice short

Different look than the 5D. More neutral. I assume you have the default settings dialed back.
Seemed like an inexpensive lens. What was used? I don't like too sharp but many edges seemed soft.

I found the shaving short 5D like, but not this. Could the 7D be trading lower noise for resolution in low light?
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #4
Trustee

expensive lens! 35mm f1.4 L series. Worth downloading it from Vimeo to see it better. I have a lot of my settings dialed down from standard to a more neutral look.
Old September 7th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock View Post
Phil,
What adapter are you using to be able to use nikon lenses on the 7d? I have a letus extreme, full set of Nikon primes, and two nikon Dslr's. I'g really like to try the 7d, but can't imagine getting rid of all my Nikon gear.
Thanks
Bruce yarock
Yarock Video and Photo
There are a number of adapters available out there. People have been paying anywhere from a couple of hundred down to $ 8.00 plus $ 8.00 shipping. I bought five of those (Kawa brand) on Ebay. They have been fine, though I have heard some complaints about locking in later bought product.... I am not sure where that is going. Of course, your lenses become pure manual, but its great for all the old Nikon stuff.
Old September 8th, 2009, 09:20 AM   #6
Contributor

I watched the short this morning on my 23" Apple Cinema Display at work and I've got to say it's impressive. Even the higher gain stuff looks very clean. How do you download a full size version from Vimeo? I just clicked and played it full screen and it was pretty impressive.

Hopefully we'll get some nice wide panoramic shots soon. The point is very well made about shallow depth of field. I'd like to see some more day-to-day footage. Philip's stuff looks better to me than the Canon corporate soap opera demo; that could be due to the compression they used. Some of Philip's shots make me go, "Cool! I want one." The Canon footage made me go, "Hmmm...I dunno yet..."

Here's a question for Phil--can you set the shutter go to 1/48 when shooting 24p and keep it there? In other words, can you turn off the auto shutter, iris, etc.?
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #7
Major Player

It does look better when I downloaded the full clip.
Phil, do you custom white balance or use auto?
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
I watched the short this morning on my 23" Apple Cinema Display at work and I've got to say it's impressive. Even the higher gain stuff looks very clean. How do you download a full size version from Vimeo? I just clicked and played it full screen and it was pretty impressive.

Hopefully we'll get some nice wide panoramic shots soon. The point is very well made about shallow depth of field. I'd like to see some more day-to-day footage. Philip's stuff looks better to me than the Canon corporate soap opera demo; that could be due to the compression they used. Some of Philip's shots make me go, "Cool! I want one." The Canon footage made me go, "Hmmm...I dunno yet..."

Here's a question for Phil--can you set the shutter go to 1/48 when shooting 24p and keep it there? In other words, can you turn off the auto shutter, iris, etc.?
Yes, full manual but not 1/48th. Has to be 1/50th.

Go to Dublin's People: Canon 7d Native 24p By Philip Bloom On ExposureRoom to download as there is a cap on download on vimeo. Also download a raw clip here Native H264 7d 23.98p 1080p CLIP By Philip Bloom On ExposureRoom
Old September 8th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #9
Contributor

Hmm...just like my old CP16R--24fps, but the shutter was 1/50.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Phil:

A loaded question:

Are you satisfied that camera will replace the 5D for you shooting needs ? Or would you go with both bodies, using 5D for some circumstances, and the 7 when you need 24p?

I suppose the question also asked is do you see that much difference in your 24p footage vs. the converted footage with the 5d ?
Old September 8th, 2009, 05:28 PM   #11
Regular Crew

philip,

sorry, i don't have a twitter account...but here was your response when asked about purchasing a 7D if the 5D had the same video capabilities:

"nope! i already have two 5dmk2s and if they have same vid functions as 7d then no brainer!"

why the 5D over the 7D? images look similar? is it mainly because the 5D is full sensor? other than that, what other video benefits does the 5D have that the 7D doesn't(assuming the 5D gets updated to 7D capabilities)? thanks!
Jaser Stockert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 05:29 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaser Stockert View Post
philip,

sorry, i don't have a twitter account...but here was your response when asked about purchasing a 7D if the 5D had the same video capabilities:

"nope! i already have two 5dmk2s and if they have same vid functions as 7d then no brainer!"

why the 5D over the 7D? images look similar? is it mainly because the 5D is full sensor? other than that, what other video benefits does the 5D have that the 7D doesn't(assuming the 5D gets updated to 7D capabilities)? thanks!

mainly because i have two already!!! also the full frame sensor is awesome and you are not so limited on the wide end with good lenses.
Old September 8th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Beautiful work as usual, Phil. The bokeh on the 1.4 is amazing! Love every bit of it.
Old September 8th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Oh View Post
Beautiful work as usual, Phil. The bokeh on the 1.4 is amazing! Love every bit of it.
Actually only a small part of it was shot at f1.4. Mostly around f1.8 to f2
Old September 8th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
Actually only a small part of it was shot at f1.4. Mostly around f1.8 to f2
philip, can you autograph my 7D box when it comes in? no seriously!
Jaser Stockert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD > EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery