DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-crop-sensor-aps-c-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   "Dublin's People" shot in FULL HD 1080p 24p (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-crop-sensor-aps-c-sample-clips-gallery/374506-dublins-people-shot-full-hd-1080p-24p.html)

Phil Bloom September 7th, 2009 06:42 PM

"Dublin's People" shot in FULL HD 1080p 24p

here is my new short "Dublin's People" Shot in FULL HD 1080p 24p native with some 720p 50p slow motion. Ungraded

Philip Bloom Blog Archive Dublin’s People: Shot on a Canon 7d in native 24p

Jon Fairhurst September 7th, 2009 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor (Post 1323244)
What I'd like is an adapter that would allow me to use my ancient but excellent Pre-AI Nikkor lenses on the Canon. I have a 24, 35, 50 micro, 105, 135, and 200.

You can have the pre-Ai lenses converted to Ai quite easily. And if you have a pre-F series cam that you use with them, you can replace it with an F4 or F5 for cheap.

Don Miller September 7th, 2009 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Bloom (Post 1325029)
here is my new short "Dublin's People" Shot in FULL HD 1080p 24p native with some 720p 50p slow motion. Ungraded

Philip Bloom Blog Archive Dublin’s People: Shot on a Canon 7d in native 24p

Nice short

Different look than the 5D. More neutral. I assume you have the default settings dialed back.
Seemed like an inexpensive lens. What was used? I don't like too sharp but many edges seemed soft.

I found the shaving short 5D like, but not this. Could the 7D be trading lower noise for resolution in low light?

Phil Bloom September 7th, 2009 07:33 PM

expensive lens! 35mm f1.4 L series. Worth downloading it from Vimeo to see it better. I have a lot of my settings dialed down from standard to a more neutral look.

Chris Barcellos September 7th, 2009 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock (Post 1322904)
Phil,
What adapter are you using to be able to use nikon lenses on the 7d? I have a letus extreme, full set of Nikon primes, and two nikon Dslr's. I'g really like to try the 7d, but can't imagine getting rid of all my Nikon gear.
Thanks
Bruce yarock
Yarock Video and Photo

There are a number of adapters available out there. People have been paying anywhere from a couple of hundred down to $ 8.00 plus $ 8.00 shipping. I bought five of those (Kawa brand) on Ebay. They have been fine, though I have heard some complaints about locking in later bought product.... I am not sure where that is going. Of course, your lenses become pure manual, but its great for all the old Nikon stuff.

Bill Pryor September 8th, 2009 09:20 AM

I watched the short this morning on my 23" Apple Cinema Display at work and I've got to say it's impressive. Even the higher gain stuff looks very clean. How do you download a full size version from Vimeo? I just clicked and played it full screen and it was pretty impressive.

Hopefully we'll get some nice wide panoramic shots soon. The point is very well made about shallow depth of field. I'd like to see some more day-to-day footage. Philip's stuff looks better to me than the Canon corporate soap opera demo; that could be due to the compression they used. Some of Philip's shots make me go, "Cool! I want one." The Canon footage made me go, "Hmmm...I dunno yet..."

Here's a question for Phil--can you set the shutter go to 1/48 when shooting 24p and keep it there? In other words, can you turn off the auto shutter, iris, etc.?

Don Miller September 8th, 2009 11:08 AM

It does look better when I downloaded the full clip.
Phil, do you custom white balance or use auto?

Phil Bloom September 8th, 2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor (Post 1327522)
I watched the short this morning on my 23" Apple Cinema Display at work and I've got to say it's impressive. Even the higher gain stuff looks very clean. How do you download a full size version from Vimeo? I just clicked and played it full screen and it was pretty impressive.

Hopefully we'll get some nice wide panoramic shots soon. The point is very well made about shallow depth of field. I'd like to see some more day-to-day footage. Philip's stuff looks better to me than the Canon corporate soap opera demo; that could be due to the compression they used. Some of Philip's shots make me go, "Cool! I want one." The Canon footage made me go, "Hmmm...I dunno yet..."

Here's a question for Phil--can you set the shutter go to 1/48 when shooting 24p and keep it there? In other words, can you turn off the auto shutter, iris, etc.?

Yes, full manual but not 1/48th. Has to be 1/50th.

Go to Dublin's People: Canon 7d Native 24p By Philip Bloom On ExposureRoom to download as there is a cap on download on vimeo. Also download a raw clip here Native H264 7d 23.98p 1080p CLIP By Philip Bloom On ExposureRoom

Bill Pryor September 8th, 2009 04:08 PM

Hmm...just like my old CP16R--24fps, but the shutter was 1/50.

Chris Barcellos September 8th, 2009 04:09 PM

Phil:

A loaded question:

Are you satisfied that camera will replace the 5D for you shooting needs ? Or would you go with both bodies, using 5D for some circumstances, and the 7 when you need 24p?

I suppose the question also asked is do you see that much difference in your 24p footage vs. the converted footage with the 5d ?

Jaser Stockert September 8th, 2009 05:28 PM

philip,

sorry, i don't have a twitter account...but here was your response when asked about purchasing a 7D if the 5D had the same video capabilities:

"nope! i already have two 5dmk2s and if they have same vid functions as 7d then no brainer!"

why the 5D over the 7D? images look similar? is it mainly because the 5D is full sensor? other than that, what other video benefits does the 5D have that the 7D doesn't(assuming the 5D gets updated to 7D capabilities)? thanks!

Phil Bloom September 8th, 2009 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaser Stockert (Post 1329021)
philip,

sorry, i don't have a twitter account...but here was your response when asked about purchasing a 7D if the 5D had the same video capabilities:

"nope! i already have two 5dmk2s and if they have same vid functions as 7d then no brainer!"

why the 5D over the 7D? images look similar? is it mainly because the 5D is full sensor? other than that, what other video benefits does the 5D have that the 7D doesn't(assuming the 5D gets updated to 7D capabilities)? thanks!

mainly because i have two already!!! also the full frame sensor is awesome and you are not so limited on the wide end with good lenses.

Andrew Oh September 8th, 2009 05:33 PM

Beautiful work as usual, Phil. The bokeh on the 1.4 is amazing! Love every bit of it.

Phil Bloom September 8th, 2009 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Oh (Post 1329024)
Beautiful work as usual, Phil. The bokeh on the 1.4 is amazing! Love every bit of it.

Actually only a small part of it was shot at f1.4. Mostly around f1.8 to f2

Jaser Stockert September 8th, 2009 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Bloom (Post 1329026)
Actually only a small part of it was shot at f1.4. Mostly around f1.8 to f2

philip, can you autograph my 7D box when it comes in? no seriously!