DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-crop-sensor-aps-c-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   My production 7D movie and initial thoughts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-crop-sensor-aps-c-sample-clips-gallery/439072-my-production-7d-movie-initial-thoughts.html)

Dan Chung September 25th, 2009 04:14 PM

My production 7D movie and initial thoughts

I picked up my production Eos 7D from my local store in Beijing and immediately made this movie

‘Another night in Beijing’ Production Canon Eos7D movie DSLR News Shooter

My initial thoughts are posted there too.

Dan

Bill Pryor September 25th, 2009 07:06 PM

I just found that earlier today. Great looking footage! I was truly amazed when you said your ISOs were between 1600 and 6400. In professional hands, the camera is incredible. So is the girl with the yoyo!

Chris Barcellos September 25th, 2009 07:33 PM

Dan: Do you know if there are any issues using Nikon lenses with adapters on this camera ?

Mike Watson September 25th, 2009 08:45 PM

Were you wide open, for the most part? i.e. if I stick with more affordable lenses (f1.8+), how much DOF am I going to lose?

Stephen Mick September 25th, 2009 08:52 PM

Looks nice!

Dan-

Thanks for posting, the footage looks really tasty! Any other information as to specific camera settings you can share?

(thumbs-up!)

SM

Ted Ramasola September 25th, 2009 10:08 PM

Thanks for posting real world test Dan. Also, thanks for allowing download so we can test on timeline. I'm going to compare it with your 5D test.

Ted

Scott Nodine September 25th, 2009 10:49 PM

Great real world test there!

Was it shot in 1080 25p or 720 25p originally?

Christopher Drews September 25th, 2009 11:00 PM

I never thought I'd see Chinese people drinking large quantities of Mexican beer.
That was my favorite shot. Amazing work as always.
-C

Bruce S. Yarock September 26th, 2009 12:18 AM

Dan,
Your 7d clip looks great I'm planning on getting one and wanted to ask you a few of questions.
1- Exactly which redrock support rig are you using?
2-Do you know how nikon promes will work with an adapter? ( i have a nice set if nikon lenses from my letus rig and dslrs).
3- Are you recording audio onto the zoom or using it as a mic? What about a small shotgun directly into the 7d?
Thanks
bruce yarock
Yarock Video and Photo
P.S.- When will I ever use my letus extreme if I get the 7d? :)))

Dan Chung September 26th, 2009 08:44 AM

Quick answers,

footage shot in 1080p/25
Nikon adapter worked fine on the lenses I've tried so far. Not sure about all my Zeiss lenses yet.
Recording audio on both Zoom and camera
Some DOF effect clearly lost compared to same focal length on 5DmkII, but hard to say at this stage whether I think its that important. My gut says f2 is fine for a shallow DOF look most of the time, but that's personal taste.

Dan

Bruce S. Yarock September 26th, 2009 09:24 AM

Dan,
Where can I get that nikon to Canon lens adapter? If you have a brand or link, that would be great.
thanks
Bruce Yarock

Art Varga September 26th, 2009 10:45 AM

Bruce - I purchased mine here. They sell a consumer and pro version. I have 2 of the consumer version. One fits good, the other has a little play in it but both serve their purpose

Fotodiox

Alvise Tedesco September 27th, 2009 07:05 AM

Hi Dan.
How do you find (manual) focusing on lenses whit shorter focus throw?
I mean, if you're after a "normal" fov, you have to use, say, a 28 or a 35.
But those lenses do have shorter focus ring throw.
I'm planning to buy a 7D (pal land here..) and an inexpensive Canon ef 28 1.8
Thanks

Dan Chung September 27th, 2009 11:22 AM

Alvise,

A short throw is clearly harder to deal with, also I prefer my lens to have a little resistance. I would go and try the Sigma 30mm f1.4 and Canon 28mm f1.8 side by side and see how you get on.

Dan

Benjamin Eckstein September 27th, 2009 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Chung (Post 1405469)
Alvise,

A short throw is clearly harder to deal with, also I prefer my lens to have a little resistance. I would go and try the Sigma 30mm f1.4 and Canon 28mm f1.8 side by side and see how you get on.

Dan

Would love to see that comparison as I am looking at one of those.