DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-crop-sensor-aps-c-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Vienna is not Beijing" - 4 to 7 A.M short (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-crop-sensor-aps-c-sample-clips-gallery/464984-vienna-not-beijing-4-7-m-short.html)

Johnnie Behiri October 3rd, 2009 12:53 PM

Vienna is not Beijing" - 4 to 7 A.M short

The Beijing Dan Chung is showing us is always very beautiful…Vienna is more relaxed.

I got the 7d almost a week ago and had no time to test it.
Finally dragged myself out of bed Friday 4 A.M only to find out not much is happening in Vienna at this time of night…

My aim was to test camera sensitivity, a bit motion and the new lenses I just got.
I was not aiming for “high end compositions”…

Camera first impression:
Like others wrote before, camera felt great in hands.
Image quality can not be compared with my previous VDSLR (Nikon D90, Panasonic GH1). The Canon is in a different class. No more scrolling waves or vertical lines.
Light sensitivity is great! what a bargain for the money.

Lenses used:
Following the thread “just good enough” I have contacted “Samyang Europe” and asked them to test two of their lenses, the 8mm fish eye f3.5 and the 85mm f1.4.
Samyang responded fast (great customer service) and the all video (but the time laps sequence) was shot with those two lenses.

Please judge for yourself. If you are looking for a modestly priced prime lenses, you can’t go wrong. The 85mm is very fast, affordable and does not breathe when changing focus.
I am looking forward testing Samyang 14mm f2.8 coming out next month.

All footage in this clip converted to Cineform AVI. No CC or additional treatment was done.

Next week My Z finder will arrive so focus should be easier.

Camera settings:
1080 25p ISO 800 (but the second shot made with the fish eye, ISO 1600)
Early morning shot are a bit misleading, believe me it was much darker outside
Picture style-standard
Time laps lens: Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS USM

Thanks!

Johnnie

Paul Cascio October 3rd, 2009 03:40 PM

Very enjoyable. Thanks.

Johnnie Behiri October 4th, 2009 02:15 AM

Thanks Paul!

Damian Heffernan October 6th, 2009 06:27 AM

wow. Amazing night shots. The canon amazes me as I've never seen video like this in low light. Did you do any post processing or grading and did you need to do any noise removal or is that as shot?

Johnnie Behiri October 6th, 2009 10:51 AM

Hi Damian.
In one word to all your questions, no... :)

In a bit more details:
Files out of the camera transcoded to Cineform AVI. edited in Premiere 2, export as Cineform full HD 25p master.
Impoted to MPEG streamclip and exported to H264 (full quality, 1920x1080 unscaled, all other parameters unchecked.
Uploaded to Vimeo, and that it....

Thanks.

Johnnie

John Jay October 7th, 2009 02:11 PM

Hi Johnnie,

Nice work. Could you tell me how you fixed the camera for the tram shots? I'm thinking superclamp to a handrail or such?

Johnnie Behiri October 7th, 2009 02:51 PM

Thanks John.
Camera was fixed to a Manfrotto tripod, tightly secured with my hands (crazy Viennese tram drivers) :)

J.

John Jay October 7th, 2009 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnie Behiri (Post 1429189)
crazy Viennese tram drivers :)

J.

Not as crazy as the Zurich drivers heh :)

I would never have guessed a tripod - well done!