Homage to Philip Bloom (or why it's the artist, not the camera) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD > EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery
Post your EOS M / 60D / 7D / Rebel clips here... Vimeo and YouTube links will automatically embed a player right in the post.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 11:35 AM   #1
Homage to Philip Bloom (or why it's the artist, not the camera)
Brian Boyko Brian Boyko is offline November 3rd, 2009, 11:35 AM

Hey. I decided to do an homage to Philip Bloom's "city people" series, and went out this Halloween to do my own little "Austin's People."

The first thing you will notice is that it's not as good as Philip Bloom's stuff. This is deliberate. I'm never going to get any better unless I try to push myself to go beyond what I'm currently capable of doing. So you're going to see graininess, bad camera angles, etc.

Some things I learned on this video:

There is a HUGE difference between 35mm f1.4L (what Philip Bloom uses) and 50mm f1.8. Like, a "double your ISO rating" difference. Also, in a massive crowd, sometimes you have to switch to the 17mm end of your 17mm-55mm f3.5-5.6 EF-S kit lens.

I had a shoulder-mount (Spiderbrace) but did not have a viewfinder. I had to throw away alot of out-of-focus shots because of that. I've since ordered a Sockloupe, as I wear glasses and I can't afford a Z-finder anyway.

People often behaved as though they were being still photographed, even though I was filming shoulder-mounted.

Finally, I shot using the "Superflat" custom style and tried to fix the levels in post. I'm not sure it worked out the way I expected it to, though I didn't compare it to shooting in standard style.

Anyway, here it is. Hope you at least enjoy it.

Brian Boyko
Major Player
Views: 1163

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD > EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery