DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-crop-sensor-aps-c-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Amused to Death with the 7D (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-crop-sensor-aps-c-sample-clips-gallery/469994-amused-death-7d.html)

Chuck Spaulding December 24th, 2009 05:36 PM

Amused to Death with the 7D

This is the first test where I actually went out to shoot a test. Earlier I posted kind of a point and shoot day at Big Bear.

For these sorts of tests most people seem to be shooting in beautiful natural settings, I on the other hand spent a couple of afternoons at the local airport. I figured if I could make this look good I would have accomplished something.

This was shot with several different picture profiles and the stock 17-85MM Kit lens. Unfortunately I don't have any ND filters, I was able to use a polarizer which helped but I would have liked to get several more stops for a shallower DOF.

If you like planes, hopefully you'll like this.

I thought I would mention that the first plane in this video used to belong to Cary Grant. What a waste, its just rotting away.

Chuck Spaulding December 28th, 2009 12:57 PM

After over 150 views you'd think someone would have something to say about this???

Jonny Norquist December 28th, 2009 01:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I thought your footage turned out really well, but it looks a bit choppy, did that happen when you were encoding it?

Would you share with me all the settings you used when shooting that video? Mostly the important stuff (I am still really new to all this), such as your shutter speed, aperture, ISO?

Peter Rhalter December 28th, 2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Spaulding (Post 1465385)
After over 150 views you'd think someone would have something to say about this???

A technical question: What caused all the vignetting? Is that from the polarizing filter or does this lens not fully cover the format?

Best wishes,
Peter
Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Desert Wildflowers - Guides, DVDs and More

Jerry Porter December 28th, 2009 02:24 PM

I really liked the shot of the other plane flying over as you were panning up the nose of the bone-yard plane.

Chuck Spaulding December 28th, 2009 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny Norquist (Post 1465403)
I thought your footage turned out really well, but it looks a bit choppy, did that happen when you were encoding it?

Would you share with me all the settings you used when shooting that video? Mostly the important stuff (I am still really new to all this), such as your shutter speed, aperture, ISO?

I'm not sure if the playback is an issue with how your computers streams Vimeo or maybe how Vimeo encodes etc., it plays back fine on the few systems I have used. I don't know much about this so can't be much help.

Disclaimer: most of what I tried was a result of what I had read on this forum. I'm not a DP so although I could see the logic to many of the recommendations I don't really know right from wrong here, which is why I tried different things. If anyone comes across the links to these suggestions please post them here in this thread.

This was shot at 1920x1080P24, Canon 17-85MM Kit lens.

When I started this I was going to make a note of all the settings while I was shooting, well sorry to say that went out the window in about the first hour. But I didn't go nuts so I can tell you most of what I did although I can't match specific shots with settings.

I shot this over two afternoons, one was bright and the other had a bit of a high overcast. My ISO on the overcast day was 320 and on the sunny day I believe it was 100. I had read that the best ISO's were 320, 640, 1280 and that 1280 should be as high as you should go. Because I only had a polarizer and no ND filters, on the first afternoon where it was a bit cloudy I did manage to get a few shots with a shallower DOF but the majority of this was shot at f/22, I kept the shutter at 1/50 [it should be set at twice the frame rate but the closest shutter speed in the 7D is 1/50] This has to do with the 180 degree motion blur rule, however since there was very little motion in most of these shots I should have tried significantly increasing the shutter speed. That would have stopped it down and I could have had a nice DOF.

I used Apples Color for grading. Instead of trying to match scenes in Primary grading I tried to make sure all the colors where where they should be and get the blacks and grays generally the same and make sure the whites didn't clip. I was more interested in seeing what, if any differences there were in picture profiles. There's a noticeable difference between Cary Grants plane (the first Convair 240) and the B25 for example. With only a few exceptions the Convair was shot with the Standard profile which resulted in a more saturated look, however, it was also shot later in the day, which probably accounts more for the warmer look. For the B25 I used the Neutral profile which gave it more of that "Saving Private Ryan" look. I used the Landscape profile for shots at the Waypoint restaurant and in the hanger which appeared more vivid.

I added the Vignette in secondary correction and some Color FX where I wanted to blur the edges around "Executive Sweet [B25]." There was no vignetting resulting from the lens or polarizer. The vignette is not nearly as pronounce in 1080P and as I have mentioned this was a test to try to shoot anything and to see if there was a noticeable difference between picture profiles. I didn't sharpen anything, this is just how it came out of the camera, which for me was a pleasant surprise.

Here's a link provided by Ray Bell in the "How to Setup your 7D" thread that's worth a look.

I hope I answered your questions. Thanks for watching and thanks for the comments.

Chuck Spaulding January 2nd, 2010 12:58 AM

Happy New Year everyone.

Chris Swanberg January 2nd, 2010 10:00 PM

Chuck, I very much enjoyed your film. I got my private pilot's license at 16, in 1967. I went on from there and added other licenses and certificates and ratings along the way...Sooo...I guess you could say that airplanes are in my blood, even if I just sold my last airplane and haven't flown in a while now.

As I watched your film, I felt, at times, like I did at 15 with a camera in my hand in the local airport... thank you. Was a nostalgic journey.

You appear to have used a slider, and maybe a wonderfully smooth tripod in your film. Can you elaborate? I enjoyed your choice of angles, the limited and effective use of pull (or rack) focus (The McCauley logo on the prop was poignant for some reason - maybe because I was dragged behind a McCauley for a lot of hours in the air?) and in general the overall edit. The soundtrack was also well suited to the subject matter.

I'll not comment on the aircraft, other than to admit my love for the way you brought the "machine" of an airplane into the mix, and the view of the still flying Connie.

You need to join in some of the competition here, you have a great eye and a skilled touch.

Thanks for taking me "flying". BRAVO.

Chris Swanberg

ps. I did notice the vignetting at first and yet somehow it never bothered me and worked well in the ending.

Chuck Spaulding January 3rd, 2010 12:09 PM

Thanks Chris, I'm a pilot too which is why I went to the airport for my first test rather than a park.

Regarding the camera moves, I tried a couple of things: I did quite a few handheld shots using the Shape shoulder support after which I attached it to the tripod which extended the camera about eight inches in front of the tripods pivot point which had a nice effect. I also kept the counter balance weight on the support which made for very smooth tilts.

I also attached the indiSLIDER onto the tripod, it took a little practice to get it smooth. Also panning and tilting while sliding had some interesting results - not all of them usable...

I also used a really inexpensive 12' jib with a Monfronto Fluid Head. Again, after some practice I was able to make it work pretty well with the 7D. I did not try mounting the indiSLIDER on the jib.

The first shot was accomplished with the indiSLIDER mounted on the tripod, however I lowered the front about 10 degrees, leveled the camera mount on the slider and simply pushed the camera on the slider downhill. This was at 35MM, I tried a couple of times at 5o and 85MM but I couldn't do it smoothly enough.

1:24 was the slider the next shot was done digitally, zoomed out from a 30% push-in. I tried to do as many actual camera movements as possible, it was kind of the point of the exercise.

At 5:04 this is a straight jib shot, fully extended. The props are huge so this plane sits about 10 feet in the air. On the last shot of this plane I had the jib on top of container and I still couldn't get to the top, the tail must be almost 20 feet.

Thanks for the kind words, I can't wait to take the 7D flying.