DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-crop-sensor-aps-c-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   My first job with Canon 7D (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-crop-sensor-aps-c-sample-clips-gallery/472129-my-first-job-canon-7d.html)

Morten Engelien February 2nd, 2010 08:27 AM

My first job with Canon 7D

Watch the HD version on www.vimeo.com/9143977?hd=1

This is my first job and the first edit with the canon 7D. And I LOVE it!
What do you think? What can I do better ?
The quality is only 50% btw..:)
No color editing

Lenses:
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Kit 17-55 f/3.5-5.6 (from the canon 350D kit, old)
Peleng 8mm fisheye

Michiel van Baasbank February 2nd, 2010 12:13 PM

Incredible low light performance, nice clip! I think that for your first 7D it's very good (speaks he who doesn't even have a 7D yet!). It gives a really good impression of this event with some really nice viewpoints.

Sometimes I wonder if the footage is a little bit out of focus or just isn't as tack-sharp as some other 7D examples, but it could be in the conversion-steps for this vimeo-video.

Perhaps you could experiment with slow-motion, would give a nice extra touch to this video?

And, just a general motto of mine: less is more. I know from personal experience how difficult it is, as you've put all this effort in filming and try to squeeze in as many shots as possible... but I think this short would be even more powerful if it were shorter. As there are some shots here with essentially the same subject or setting, too many of these shots will slow the clip down. Just a personal opinion, and I know how difficult it is to cut all those beautiful shots.

Chuck Spaulding February 2nd, 2010 12:31 PM

Congratulations on your first 7D gig, looked like the event was a lot of fun, so you captured the feeling and mood of what was happening, a great start.

I agree with much of what Michiel van Baasbank had to say, there were too many of the same or similar shots. People are funny about that, if they think you've repeated a shot, even if you haven't, they immediately begin to tune out.

Regarding focus, I know how difficult it can be to get tack-sharp focus in such low light, for the most part I thought you did a great job. I like it when the subject is out of focus, travels into focus and then out again, however on some of the jumps it was just a jumbled blur so you might want to check that your shutter speed is about twice your frame rate. What was your frame rate?

It might have helped focus if you shot 50P and slowed some of the jumps down.

You'd also probably be surprised at how much better this would look if you color corrected it.

I liked it, made me want to be there.

Morten Engelien February 2nd, 2010 02:28 PM

Thank you very much! I will definitely have the advices in mind for the upcoming job next week!
You are right, when I watch the video now I can se there are many identical clips or clips that describes the same.
Yes, it is very hard to find the right focus, especially with the f1.8 (I don't have any Z-Finder, use only the screen) And after a day trying to find focus on the screen, my eyes got Very tired!
But it was fun to shoot, and I can't wait to the next event.

Chuck Spaulding February 2nd, 2010 06:39 PM

You know you can push the "+" button and zoom in 10x to quickly check focus right?

It takes just a bit longer so it might not work for everything but it will take some of the stress off of your eyes. Also the more you do this the faster and sharper you will get.

Keep posting the results.

Also, I'm an editor first, then a DP, I see a lot of photographers fall in love with their own work which makes editing it that much more difficult. Don't be afraid to cut the crap out of it, its much easier and the result much better if you find that you have to add back footage rather than have too much...

Mike Calla February 2nd, 2010 08:00 PM

Morten, I can't watch the video from my location, but I agree with you about the focus. After having the 7D for over a month and really just using it the past week or so...wow...focus is a PITA! My 10x magnification button is going to wear out :)

Shooting at night, i guess you are at the mercy of available light. Indoors as well!

But when shooting in the day exteriors i find myself dialing in a smaller aperture. I experimented with various ND filters to keep my nice DOF, but enough is enough. My talent had to hit ridiculous marks to be in focus. And i had to hit ridiculous marks pulling focus. Then, I removed my ND filter, I stopped down, and lo and behold FREEDOM! I still get a beautiful DOF but it’s not razor thin anymore. Much more freedom!

Bruce Foreman February 3rd, 2010 08:42 PM

Some kind of viewfinder loupe over the LCD would help a lot. I use the CAVISION unit with mounting plate, swingaway adapter, and a "riser" plate I ordered by phone from CAVISION of Canada when I first got the Canon T1i. What they sold me actually fits the 7D better.

The eyepiece has 6X magnification which makes focusing a lot easier. There is no diopter adjustment for individual eyesight but if you can use an 8X photographer's loupe for inspecting slides and negatives OK you should be fine with the CAVISION unit.

Cavision Enterprises Ltd and click on viewfinders. They don't show the "riser" piece, you need to call them and tell them what you have.

The camera with this loupe and all is mounted on a SpiderBrace 2 Combo and for me is a very workable configuration.

SpiderBrace website: home

You can see a photo of the whole setup here...Message #26:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...rnative-2.html

Javier Salinas February 4th, 2010 08:57 AM

Morten, beautiful footage, nice job!
May I ask you which ISO settings did you use? And shutter speed?
Your footage looks cleaner than mine under low light conditions (that has sounded very childish!) and white fluorescent light.
I'm I little bit concerned about my 7D capabilities in low light (or my capability shooting video with the 7D!)
Thanks and congratulations for the video!
Javi

Morten Engelien February 4th, 2010 01:12 PM

Thanks for the kind words!
I mostly used ISO between 2000 and 2500. Shutter at 1/50 (or else the image will "roll" or flimmer) Trying to keep me under 3200:)
Btw, I have not used any form of noise reduction.

Chuck Spaulding : Yes, I use the +- button alot. It would almost be impossible without, especially when using the f/1.8

Ryan Farnes February 5th, 2010 02:37 PM

Morten, many have made good comments.

I pumped the volume up and really enjoyed the music mixed against the jumps and stuff. Perhaps the biggest thing you MUST do next time is to shoot a bunch of the stunt jumps in 1280x720 at 60 frames per second.

I also think you could have used the Peleng 8mm a little bit more.

Alright, keep on!

Morten Engelien February 6th, 2010 07:01 PM

I just came home from my second shoot for "Snowshow". Starting editing tomorrow, and will definitely have these good comments in my backhead. Ryan Farnes: I will do some slowmotion in the next.
Check in this thread sunday night, and I will post the new edit! Can't wait to start on edit this one, got some good shots this weekend.

Morten Engelien February 7th, 2010 12:27 PM

Snowshow week 2.
Please don't watch here, HD will be OFF in forums. Watch on vimeo in HD

Faster clips, song and everything. What do people think? Improved from first time? If not, write what you have in mind!

Michiel van Baasbank February 7th, 2010 01:31 PM

Impressed!

Wow, Morten! I'm deeply impressed! Not to say your first clip was not good, but this is so much better! Especially the first 30 seconds or so... great, absolutely great stuff! Gonna watch it again now...

Have to think really hard what you could do better next time... are you planning to do another shoot at the Snowshow?

Michiel van Baasbank February 7th, 2010 01:39 PM

Haha, the only thing I didn't really like was the high-speed-clapping-guy at 0:35...

Also funny to see the guys with the big camera's with lights on top, and you using only your small 7D, without lights I suppose...

Morten Engelien February 7th, 2010 01:58 PM

Thank you, Michiel! :) You'll problary right about the high-speed-clapping-guy, hehe!
Yes, I'm planning to make 2 more edits for them. It's going to be a challenge to do something new every time, but will try!

A picture of my work setup.
http://i47.tinypic.com/oh8dg3.jpghttp://i46.tinypic.com/2vhsktf.jpg