Spec commercial for class at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD > EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery
Post your EOS M / 60D / 7D / Rebel clips here... Vimeo and YouTube links will automatically embed a player right in the post.

Old February 3rd, 2010, 09:16 PM   #1
Spec commercial for class
Patrick Coker Patrick Coker is offline February 3rd, 2010, 09:16 PM

Shot a spec using the 7D for a class. The client was Lexus Hybrids "H is..." fun to shoot and the 7D is a beast compared to the HD camcorders out there. Check it out.

Last edited by Patrick Coker; February 3rd, 2010 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: left out link

Patrick Coker
Regular Crew
Views: 1390
Old February 3rd, 2010, 10:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi there, I'll give you some feedback - are you looking for anything specific in terms of feedback?

Watched your commercial. I'm not sure what the storyline has to do with the car. Hybrid & luxury do not come to mind watching the imagery which seems more like a running commercial or a movie trailer (from my initial first impression, the young woman appears to frightened perhaps).

I'd recommend the graphics be less 'flashy' as well - it's not required for a Lexus commercial for which I'd expect more refined simplicity. Adding a subtle, positive classical music track in place of the breathing sound may smooth out the feel. Cheers!
Christopher Ruffell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 10:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback, i appreciate it. The concept was for "H" which stands for Lexus Hybrids. It was supposed to convey someone who was in tune with her body and the world around her, the type of person who would buy a Hybrid... I guess that didn't come across? Ah well, back to the drawing board.
Old February 4th, 2010, 01:47 AM   #4
Trustee

Without starting a political debate, hybrids, more importantly commercials about hybrids should be about efficiency not about being in tune or saving the planet etc..

Your trying to appeal to a class of people that doesn't really exist so your message will not resonate with many people. Almost everyone wants to save money and if you can do that by driving a more fuel efficient car isn't that really the point?

It reminds me of commercials about land mines about a decade ago, what where they implying? That some people are for land mines?

I'm fat and out of shape that doesn't mean I don't drive a hybrid, or want to save the planet. Besides if you really want to be environmentally friendly ride a bike...
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 06:49 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Chuck... wow. What a way to not start a political debate. I agree with you in a way but, most commercials don't sell a product they sell a lifestyle and that is what I, the commercial and this run-on sentence was going for.
What you are talking about is trying to appeal to an intellectually astute group that is so small in America as to be endangered based on Fox news being the #1 news channel in most of America. Not trying to start a political debate...
Old February 4th, 2010, 01:38 PM   #6
Trustee

Not starting a political debate :), sorry.

If a lifestyle is well defined (and not controversial which is why its well defined) like aviation, RV's, boating, surfing, etc., appealing to that lifestyle is much easier.

Developing an ad that shows pilots, and more importantly their families, the benefits of flying to a particular location has a much broader appeal then developing an ad for pilot supplies. Both ad's can be considered lifestyle ads for aviation for example, but the first highlights the benefit of that lifestyle the second simply sells to a member of that lifestyle.

I'd also point out that how do you make money by selling a lifestyle? Your ad might appeal to a particular demographic but there was no call to action, what were you implying, that if I owned a hybrid I would be smarter, better looking, healthier for doing so, or that only those people buy hybrids. Either way, in my case that certainly isn't the case. In my earlier example a family member either has a pilots license and intrinsically sees the value proposition in my lifestyle message, because that fact alone defines membership in the lifestyle, or they don't, a surfer will tune out almost immediately.

Your lifestyle message is not clearly defined, in part because how can you clearly define it? I have a few employees who drive hybrids and they love them and talk about them constantly. Not because they're great cars but because they cost about $20 a week to drive. So clearly the benefit to them is that this lets them spend money on things they want to spend money on and not gas. So what lifestyle message to you create that would appeal to them?

This is a tough assignment because if you want to "sell" alternative energy as a lifestyle choice then you should aim it at the largest demographic, the baby boomers. Part of the problem with that is that young people might look at Fox news in terms of political ideology, its not. Fox News crafts their messages in a way that appeals to older adults. Since the baby boomers constitute approximately 25% of our population the odds that they are going to have a larger audience is in their favor.

So if the "intellectually astute" can't figure this out then they are indeed going to be an endangered species. This is not a political issue as much as it is a generational one. The devid is not left and right it is young and old.

So if you want to sell products you have two choices, sell it cheap enough so the young can afford it or highlight the benefits in a way that will appeal to a more mature audience. Your ad did neither.

Don't get me wrong, it was a great effort. In case you haven't noticed there are only a few examples of successful alternative energy campaigns.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I like the concept. It's not only about identity but about a lifestyle. The message is that if you care about your personal health enough to exercise, then it makes sense to expand that feeling to include what you drive.

It definitely works in the Washington, DC market, as running is VERY popular there, as is "being green."

Making the commercial about efficiency, savings and numbers would have been fine, but that's a left brain approach. Your commercial is right brained - and there's nothing the matter with that. Both aspects can be addressed in an overall ad campaign.

Personally, I like the breathing. It implies that you want your physical engine to be efficient and it reminds the viewer that cars also breathe.

Technically, it needs to be re-encoded as widescreen. And the shot of the car seems to cut off too early. I would have framed tighter with more cuts. For a wide view, I'd use a wider or fisheye lens up close to the runner. For example, the wide/normal shot on the trail looks too static and dull and its shot from eye level like a consumer camcorder shot. Also, because its shot in winter, it's brown and dead looking, which doesn't match the message.

Slow motion shots, fast shutter speed shots, unique angles, and aggressive color correction would have made this more dynamic. Closer framing would make it more personal. Check out some Nike and Gatoraid ads for examples. The only risk is that it could easily look like the runner is being chased. With the more aggressive style, one look over the shoulder, and urgent music could easily give the wrong idea. That's another reason why the breathing is good. It's smooth a measured, so we know that this is a jogger, not a victim.
Old February 4th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks John & Chuck... that sounds like the title to a bad 80's sitcom, lol. Seriously though thanks for the input, it is well received.
Old February 4th, 2010, 10:47 PM   #9
Trustee

You see there you go picking on us old guys again.

Couldn't it have been a bad 90's sitcom???
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD > EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery