DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-crop-sensor-aps-c-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Lamborghini Gallardo (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-crop-sensor-aps-c-sample-clips-gallery/473840-lamborghini-gallardo.html)

Chuck Spaulding March 1st, 2010 01:38 AM

Lamborghini Gallardo

Recently I shot and asked for suggestions how I should complete a video of a 68 Camaro. As scheduling worked out I ended up shooting this Lamborghini before resuming the shoot on the Camaro so I incorporated many of the suggestions you guys made for the Camaro.

I do this as a hobby, that's not to say that I don't want it ti be as professional as possible but its mostly just me, my wife and the 7D.

I hope you enjoy this.

Thanks

~chuck

Steve Yager March 1st, 2010 02:10 AM

Looks great. What was the gear you used?

Chuck Spaulding March 1st, 2010 04:12 PM

Hi Steve, thanks for watching.

Obviously I used a 7D. Actually I found the stabilization in the kit lens worked the best, I also used an 85MM 2.8 lens for close-ups in the driveway.

I used a DIY Jib in the driveway and also tried to mount it in the back of my pick-up, but the 7D is very sensitive to vibration and it didn’t work as planned. So I put a rod on the roof and slung a bungee cord from that to a sling I made for the camera lens. It worked great as far as the vibration goes but required quite a bit of practice. I’ve since built a little more elaborate rig to provide better control.

Here’s a link to the car mount I’m using: Filmtools Camera Triangulation Kit w/ Vacuum Cups

~chuck

Chuck Spaulding March 3rd, 2010 02:44 PM

Hi Steve,

People have been asking me a lot about the equipment I used, here's some pictures of the car mount: www.frameyourart.net

Carlo Zanella March 19th, 2010 07:31 PM

That is some GREAT work Chuck!!! I truly enjoyed your smooth filming, the CAR, and the overall color tone of your video! Again, very impressed. I am going to get that car rig.
Is there anything you need to add to it to make it work, or does it have everything you need out-of-the-box??

Thank you.

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show

Chuck Spaulding March 20th, 2010 10:56 AM

Hi Carlo, thanks for the kind words.

Having to buy additional equipment depends on the car, how fast your traveling, whether you mount the camera inside or out etc..

I now have quite a bit more than that, but I'm shooting a lot of different cars and trying to "go faster" and what I ended up doing is just buying more bits and pieces to give me more flexibility in how I mount stuff.

This is a great base to start from and chances are that you won't need to add more to it. But its a bit like building your shoulder mount, you quickly start figuring out nifty ways to mount the camera in ways I'm sure were intended.

Recently I was shooting in a confined office space that didn't really lend itself well to using a tripod, thought about using a monopod but then decided to whip out the car mount and mounted it to a window on the door and it worked great. I have the same monitor you do, ran the cable around the corner so I didn't even have to be next to the camera which gave everyone a little more breathing room. I could even open and close the door ever so slowly to pan with the motion of the subject.

Its like having little mini C-stands...

Carlo Zanella March 20th, 2010 12:56 PM

Thank you for the info Chuck. It looks like you use your equipment in a very creative way!
I'll just pick your brain after I'll get the unit...:-)

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show

Chuck Spaulding March 20th, 2010 12:59 PM

No worries, anything I can do to help.

Nate Haustein March 20th, 2010 01:51 PM

Exceptional work. Especially liked the shots from 2:16 - 2:30, very smooth, sweeping, and did I sense a hint of slow motion? Great color too, the sun really makes the car's paint pop.

You should call up Car and Driver or Top Gear to peddle your "hobby" :)

Chuck Spaulding March 20th, 2010 02:25 PM

Thanks Nate.

You know what's funny, at least I think so, is that there is no slow motion in there, which has been the biggest criticism, people want to see this car going fast.

But, it was very challenging trying to figure out how to get smooth shots above 30MPH. I have since figured out how to go faster but nowhere near fast enough to satisfy those who want to see this car fly. I tried speeding up the footage but to me it just looked like sped up footage.

Currently I'm working on another video showing a 68 convertible Camaro. I've done many of the driving shots from within the car and now need to do the car to car shots which I'm confident I can do much faster now.

For the shot around 2:16, of the reflection in the mirror we were headed up the hill for lunch and I was watching footage on the 7D, looked up and thought that might be cool and just hit the button and started recording, which is why it moves as much as it does. Just total dumb luck, I mean I meant to do that...

Jim Forrest March 22nd, 2010 07:46 AM

Beautifully done!!

Ethan Lane March 24th, 2010 10:01 PM

Since this has nothing to do with the filming I hope this isn't offensive but you really gotta make a better music choice. Or choices. It's a frickin Lambo. I want some music that conveys speed, power, money, something. For the intro shots where it's not moving I'd do some music that's got a good build-up to it. Something that excites me but doesn't give me everything I want (keeps me wanting more). Then for the moving shots music that's much faster and heavier. I don't dislike the song you chose (as a song), but IMHO it really doesn't work for this vid.

Great filming, however!

Chuck Spaulding March 25th, 2010 12:19 AM

Any recommendations?

Ethan Lane March 28th, 2010 11:08 PM

I will have some for you in a bit ;)

Chuck Spaulding April 3rd, 2010 02:28 PM

I'm all ears...