DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-crop-sensor-aps-c-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Music Video with 7D on slider, EX1 on jib (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-crop-sensor-aps-c-sample-clips-gallery/474656-music-video-7d-slider-ex1-jib.html)

Carlo Zanella March 12th, 2010 10:17 AM

Music Video with 7D on slider, EX1 on jib

2 Attachment(s)
This "music video style" intermezzo was shot, as you can see from the attached picts with the 7D and EX-1 combo, rispectively on slider and jib. The main challenge was to match up color between the two, without relying too much on post. I was able to get a quite surprising good match by working on the WB and gamma setting on the EX-1...Very little touch up in post.

My choice of putting the EX on jib is that I don't have to worry too much about focus issues. The jib moved quite a lot on "in&out" movements as well, hard to do with 7D without losing focus. 7D on indislider, Lilliput and indi FF & rails worked GREAT. All shot at 30fps to match up with the rest of the TV show (The Santa Fe TV Show).

And, a little off topic, in my opinion, NO, it's NOT time to dump your nice videocam for HDSLR. Just work with them together, and you learn to get even more creative!
Enjoy!

VIDEO LINK: e4_intermezzo

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show

Chuck Spaulding March 12th, 2010 10:24 AM

Cool, but what's with the hat? :)

Carlo Zanella March 12th, 2010 10:47 AM

Hi Chuck, good to hear from you.

Very good question...Very specific answer...
In bright daylight, displays we all know are very hard to see (especially here, in New Mexico!). On the 7D, the combo big black matte hat and sunshade work great, as well as the EX-1 built in display or remote 8" monitor.
NOT an "fashionable aesthetic" choice, but my clients got used to see me with that...
A lot of giggle, but it works! Should I develope a hat fashion line for 7D-EX users??

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show

Tim Polster March 12th, 2010 11:03 AM

Carlo,

Very entertaining. I enjoyed your work.

Thanks for sharing. The 7D really adds a dimension.

Carlo Zanella March 12th, 2010 11:09 AM

Thank you Tim for your comment. I LOVE the 7D, but I love it even more when I can use it with the EX. It's just very simple, there is a tool for each use and dimension...

Carlo

Nathan Wilcox March 15th, 2010 11:43 AM

Very cool work! I especially love the shots over the Piano and while the trumpet player is sitting in that chair. I really like the strong good vibe from this.

Jim Forrest March 18th, 2010 02:23 PM

Love your work!! Again, a great video. Who comes up with the shot selection?
Do you storyboard, or just shoot what comes to mind?

Carlo Zanella March 18th, 2010 06:51 PM

Jim & Nathan,

Thank you so much for your kind comments. I am glad you appreciate our hard work!
This is pretty much how we work, nothing special:
myself and the writer go on location days before.
We come back with a concept, we may put down a general shoot list, no storyboard. Once in session, we film according to the idea and we usually end up adding quite a few additional scenes. There is also a good percentage of improvisation. If the vibe is good, creativity flows...
I film and edit most of my work, so I film according to my editing style.
If you want to see other examples, go to the link below and watch episodes 2,3,4.

Enjoy!

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show

Chuck Spaulding March 22nd, 2010 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlo Zanella (Post 1498654)
Hi Chuck, good to hear from you.

Very good question...Very specific answer...
In bright daylight, displays we all know are very hard to see (especially here, in New Mexico!). On the 7D, the combo big black matte hat and sunshade work great, as well as the EX-1 built in display or remote 8" monitor.
NOT an "fashionable aesthetic" choice, but my clients got used to see me with that...
A lot of giggle, but it works! Should I develope a hat fashion line for 7D-EX users??

Carlo Zanella
The Santa Fe TV Show

I'd buy one!

Tony Reidsma March 30th, 2010 07:39 AM

Wonderful!

Side note, at 1:11 the guy should have at least had his cheeks look like he's playing... ;-)

I'd like to get some of their songs, itunes?