DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-crop-sensor-aps-c-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   red, 5d2 & 2ti 3 camera quick music vid... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-crop-sensor-aps-c-sample-clips-gallery/477034-red-5d2-2ti-3-camera-quick-music-vid.html)

Christopher Witz April 17th, 2010 07:19 PM

red, 5d2 & 2ti 3 camera quick music vid...

I thought I'd shoot a really quick 3 camera test... just me.... lit, setup the cameras ( red, 5d2, and 2ti ) and lit with 2 lights. Played one take and all shot in one take... then slapped it together in FCP.... total shoot and edit time 27 minutes. It's also me playing the guitar... and I messed around a little with some effects in garageband... but the beginning is pretty clean.

Can you guess which camera shot which angles?

3 cam test By chris witzke On ExposureRoom

Michiel van Baasbank April 17th, 2010 11:53 PM

Liked it! I don't know which angle belongs to which cam, but I liked the camera focusing on your left hand, in closeup...

Christopher Witz April 18th, 2010 08:36 AM

camera on left hand: 5d2 with 24-105 L

on right hand: 2ti with 35 f1.4 L

head on: red with 24 f1.4 L

Bryan McCullough April 18th, 2010 09:12 AM

Nice! Thanks for doing this.

Just to clarify, right hand actually means your right hand not right on screen?

Christopher Witz April 18th, 2010 09:17 AM

yes.... right hand strum'n/pick'n.... left fret'n....

John Vincent April 19th, 2010 08:27 PM

Sweet stuff - thanks for the test. Well, color me impressed. Very hard to tell....

Could you comment on your impressions of the T2 when compared to the other 2 cams?

Thanks again!

john

Christopher Witz April 24th, 2010 01:06 PM

sure...

2ti results wise is pretty on par with 5d2... other than frame size of course.

Once it's menus are setup it's easy to use. I like how small and light it is... my plan is to use it on vehicle mounts etc... so small and light is ideal.

At 24fps all 3 cameras edited without any drift what so ever... a very pleasant surprise.

I'm going to pick up another 2ti this next week.... doing a music vid in a car and want 3 cams rolling at once... just don't feel comfortable mounting the red on/in a car.

Bryan McCullough April 24th, 2010 02:23 PM

And that's one of the real benefits of this camera. At $700 it's basically disposable.

John Vincent April 25th, 2010 11:33 PM

Not on my budget it isn't!

:)

john

Francesco Dal Bosco April 27th, 2010 04:47 AM

Just bought a 550d (T2i). I'm happy to see what this camera can do in this video comparison. I'm really impressed.
Thank you for this post and for the great musical prformance too.

Euisung Lee April 28th, 2010 12:57 AM

Great music!

The red shots do look subtly sharper and cleaner. Do you see more difference in full HD quality?

Still it is amazing that a $2500 and $800 with a bonus video feature can do this much. Can't wait to see what the next generation dslrs would do.

Jon Fairhurst April 28th, 2010 01:38 AM

Cool. I guessed the cams. I guessed the 5D2 because of the shallowest DOF. When on the T2i video, the stream paused, and I could see the contours. The ONE has the most subtle shades.

The bottom line is that they all look good and they cut together nicely.

Christopher Witz April 29th, 2010 07:06 AM

The RED is obviously street ahead of the canons in every way except for weight... if it were the size and weight of the 5d2 I would never touch the canons again.

The take from the RED in this video was actually shot from my knees to a few inches above my head... even at 720p it's still not zoomed in 100% from the 4k proxies. The canons were only cropped in a little so I could pan and scan the footage to look a bit less static.

So.... but..... it's still awesome to be able to use the canons as B and C cams.... heck... I'd love to have 10 of them a various camera angles...

these are good times!

Christopher Witz April 30th, 2010 08:17 AM

top string are wound.... the RED has absolutely no aliasing.

Dudes... this video file is just standard def... trust me when I say the the files brought into FCP from the RED and the canons are vastly different in quality, integrity, and usability.

I'm honestly having second thoughts about ever posting the video here.

Also... comparing the future with the now is just silly. Use what you have, get what you can afford, make the best with what you have, live for today so that tomorrow can be even better.

Chris Hurd April 30th, 2010 09:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've removed a comment from public view in this thread that suggested there was "aliasing" in one of the shots. Looking over the video carefully (as best as can be done with a web-encoded sample), it's pretty obvious that there isn't any aliasing.

The confused reference was indicating the top string of the guitar. OP correctly points out that those are wound strings, meaning, for those not musically inclined, that the guitar string is somewhat similar to a rope in miniature -- it is not a simple continuous linear strand, but rather a complicated winding around a core (see attached pic). In other words, that's not "aliasing," that's real detail.

Many thanks for sharing this clip here; if you'd like to show it in HD then please contact me by email (chris at dvinfo dot net) and we'll get it to our Vimeo Plus account, which will show an embedded player right here on the forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Witz (Post 1521520)
Use what you have, get what you can afford, make the best with what you have, live for today so that tomorrow can be even better.

Awesome! The post of the day, and it's not even noon yet. Many thanks,