DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-crop-sensor-aps-c-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Music Video with Greenscreen Effects (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-crop-sensor-aps-c-sample-clips-gallery/479161-music-video-greenscreen-effects.html)

Cullen Hoback May 21st, 2010 05:38 PM

Music Video with Greenscreen Effects

I shot this video about a week after he T2i came out. We had various greenscreen keys in many live locations, mixed with studio greenscreen work.

YouTube - Ramona Falls - Russia

This video also utilized the t2i in dark environments where we had to bump the gain up to 1600. I felt that this was too high of a bump. Given the technique of the video, we really couldn't afford to go below a 3.5 fstop, because we needed our depth of field to remain as constant as possible. It was the only option without increasing the overall light in the interior locations like the church and the roller rink.

Hope you enjoy it!

Cullen Hoback (CullenHoback) on Twitter

Bryan McCullough May 21st, 2010 08:24 PM

Fantastic!!

Sam Piggott May 22nd, 2010 03:43 PM

This is absolutely eye-opening. I bloody love this video, it's inspiring, clever and it demonstrates exactly what the 550D's capable of. Great job!

Could I be cheeky and inquire as to what lens you shot that on as well? As the whole film looks incredible!

Michael Ojjeh May 22nd, 2010 08:40 PM

It takes a lot of talent and imagination to produce such video, great job, great effects.
Job well done !!!!

Joel Peregrine May 24th, 2010 12:59 AM

Incredible. Very impressed!

Michael Hunt May 25th, 2010 04:34 PM

wow

this was shockingly well done

Adrinn Chellton June 2nd, 2010 06:56 PM

Very nice work,wonderful idea and quite thought provoking, way better than average! I will toss a bit of criticism in as far as the t2i goes. However, its aimed at the camera more so than the artist.

It seems there are what looks like cut-off edges and loss/shift of chroma detail in the key, at the end when she is flying away. It's kind of hard to tell with a 480 file though, so some of what I'm seeing may be compression artifacts. What program did you use to key? I haven't used my t2i for greenscreen yet, but this fall I may give it a try.

Cullen Hoback June 3rd, 2010 10:05 PM

Thanks for the comments everyone.

To answer the lens question...
I had access to an unbelievable wealth of lenses. I actually ended up shooting almost exclusively with the kit lens, despite its softness. It would have been awesome to have something that had IS and a 2.8 option. However, because of the focus pulling limitations, and the nature of the rig we built to shoot this on, opening up any more would have produced more problems when shooting in the male lead's direction. For once, I was wanting what old vid cameras provide... close to infinite depth of field. So the kit lens, bizarrely, turned out to be the most satisfactory option.

The opening section was shot with an L-Series 50mm and 35mm.

In terms of the key...

After effects was the main program used. I can't speak for the plug-ins our compositor may have been applying. There might be a little cut-off on the edges, though in the pro-res version she looks pretty darn clean. Even the pull from the balloons and her veil (which had transparency) came out relatively clean.

That shot was uniquely difficult. We had to suspend her horizontally while throwing a greenscreen up above her. We were rushed for time at that point, so it was a struggle to get enough lights below her to light her correctly, while also getting the lights to splash the screen. So if there is any noticeable issue on that shot, I would attribute it less to the t2i and more to the shooting conditions.

My latest feature film--
www.behavebadly.com

My previous feature film--
www.monstercampmovie.com

follow me on twitter--
http://twitter.com/cullenhoback

Drew Curran June 8th, 2010 07:27 AM

Excellent shoot. I love the theme.

What a great camera!

G. Lee Gordon June 18th, 2010 04:47 PM

When do we get to see the behind the scenes video?

Mugurel Dragusin July 9th, 2010 04:06 AM

This was actually something worth watching :)

Great job! Thank you!