Low-Fi 7D Test at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD > EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery
Post your EOS M / 60D / 7D / Rebel clips here... Vimeo and YouTube links will automatically embed a player right in the post.

Old July 1st, 2010, 12:12 PM   #1
Low-Fi 7D Test
Frank Ladner Frank Ladner is offline July 1st, 2010, 12:12 PM

Hey guys!

Wanted to share this short test video I recently completed.

The goal here was to emulate a low-fi look with some Canon 7D footage which was taken during a recent vacation.

More info: (copy/pasted from Vimeo page)

In this test video I was aiming to achieve a low-fi / organic look and feel.

The various clips were taken from vacation footage* which was captured on a Canon 7D. Primary lens used was a Super-Takumar 50mm / f1.4, attached to the 7D via M42-to-EOS adapter.

Post-processing involved layering with 8mm grain and light leak layers, vignetting, blurring, saturation and curves adjustments, etc.

The soundtrack is made up of some basic pad/chords as well as static sounds which were captured from an AM radio. Those elements alone left it feeling more suspenseful than I wanted, so I sampled a little banjo tune, dropped it in, and shifted the pitch.

* The exception on the footage is the shot featuring a paper cutout fella, which was animated and rendered in trueSpace 6.

Last edited by Frank Ladner; July 1st, 2010 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: adding info

Frank Ladner
Major Player
Views: 2159
Old July 9th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I totally dig this PP. You could use this to make your own version of one of the 70's videos from LOST.

The only thing it needs now is the film running out at the end, and the standard countdown at the beginning.

Or if you wanted to get fancy, you could create an animation of the film burning up after getting stuck.
Aaron Dunlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Aaron!

Thanks for checking it out and commenting! I appreciate the tips!

I've done some conversion to 18fps recently and that helps sell the old home movie look even more. Lots of fun to experiment with this! :)
Frank Ladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 09:30 AM   #4
Regular Crew

reminds me alot of The Life Aquatic with Steve Zizzou
Lee Tamer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD > EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery