DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-crop-sensor-aps-c-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   1st Canon 7d/6d WEDDING MOVIE (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-crop-sensor-aps-c-sample-clips-gallery/497867-1st-canon-7d-6d-wedding-movie.html)

Nino Ventura June 30th, 2011 12:53 AM

1st Canon 7d/6d WEDDING MOVIE

Hi guys this is My 1st wedding FILM .

Shot with 60d and 7D .
Lenses: 18 to55mm
10 to 20 sigma
50mm
24-70mm

YouTube - ‪Sheena + Marco Wedding - ninoventurafilms.com‬‏

John Wiley June 30th, 2011 01:53 AM

Re: 1st Canon 7d/6d WEDDING MOVIE

Good job, not bad for your first wedding.

A couple of things to watch out for:

1. White balance - it should be easy to match the two camera using Kelvin WB but be aware that the lighting might be different in different spots of the church. One of the cameras was much warmer than the other throughout the ceremony

2. Go easy on the rack focusing. It's ok to put a few in but only if there is a purpose ie to reveal more information in the shot or to lead the viewers eye to a new part of the scene. If it doesn't contribute to the story, then it is not necessary. Rack focusing from a flyscreen or a piece of furniture to a person is not necessary and quickly grows repetative, taking away the impact of a good rack focus shot.

3. There is a very distinct drop in the mood as the first sond ends and the other begins - even though this is right where the film should be climaxing. This is where you need to mix in live audio (even if it's just a highlights reel) and put in a bit of the vows and some clapping rather than just letting it go dead.

4. Be careful with wideangle lenses when panning or tilting. If there is not a foreground object to draw our attention then the distortion on the background becomes far too noticeable, such as with the tilt in front of the building. Back up a bit and zoom in to reduce the distortion, or put something in the foreground to draw our attention away from the wildly distorting building.

5. Be careful of jump cuts. There was one in particular as he puts the ring on her that is really noticeable. If you're cutting it needs to be to a significantly different angle and framing. I know you were going for a modern, fast-cut style, but remember the couple wants to watch their wedding, not your editing. A well placed cut will not even be noticed by the audience - of course they will notice that they are looking at a different picture but they will not stop to think how that picture got to be there. Similarly, be careful of "crossing the line." You can be creative with where you put the line, but once you decide on it, make sure you never cross it. Shoot everything from the left hand side, or from behind the front pew, or from in front of the couple or whatever you want, but don't cross the line you choose to set. I know these are narrative film-making rules, but they still apply to events, even more so with a cinematic highlights style.

How many cameras did you have running? And how do you edit the full length version (ie cinematic or documentary, etc)?

Bill Grant June 30th, 2011 11:23 AM

Re: 1st Canon 7d/6d WEDDING MOVIE

Nino,
I only watched about 2 mins. My only comment to add to John's is that song is SUCH a downer. It's a song about lost love and heartache I'm sure nobody noticed but it really bummed me out. Pretty pictures is good, but without audio I'm left wondering who these people are and why they are there. If you don't grab the audience quickly then you lost them. That was me. As far as the shots go, they looked good. Good use of natural light, good color decent movement. They looked like you would expect. That will take you so far. Focus on the storytelling. If I'm going to watch for 6 mins (and I'm saying prospective brides not me) then what am I watching. Thanks for posting and good luck.
Bill