Heavy green screen in music video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD > EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery

EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery
Post your EOS M / 60D / 7D / Rebel clips here... Vimeo and YouTube links will automatically embed a player right in the post.

Old April 18th, 2012, 03:50 PM   #1
Heavy green screen in music video
David Lavender David Lavender is offline April 18th, 2012, 03:50 PM

We recently produced a music video where, in the ideas phase, we pitched an idea that was over our heads. We do this pretty frequently, to be honest. We make sure we have some idea of how to do an effect or trick, then pitch it in hopes that we are forced to learn it.

Risky, but we've enjoyed the kick in the pants so far.

With this video, we pitched a "Tangled"-like ending with dozens and dozens of Chinese sky lanterns floating off into the dark. Problem is, those things have a 5 minute burn time –*max. We had exactly four people on location for this shot, including talent. We realized it was going to have to all be in post.

So we green screened a few lanterns, a few balloons, and the artists themselves. We snagged a plate, dumped all the footage into AE, and 60 or so layers later, this was the result.

Honestly, we feel pretty good about it. I think it passes the sniff test for most people, at least on first watch. But we're trying to get better, even though we're total self-taught DIYers. We'd appreciate feed back on where the shots break down and the errors pop up. I'm aware of at least one goof in the final shot, but more constructive feedback is always welcome.

Thanks, guys and gals.

David Lavender
Regular Crew
Views: 6903
Old April 18th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Heavy green screen in music video

Great concept. Touching song. Nicely executed.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 04:10 AM   #3
Major Player

that was awesome, well done
Chris Westerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 08:11 AM   #4
Major Player

I enjoyed that. Just curious what was the budget? I see you used a slider. Did you also have a crane?
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 08:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks, Ron. As far as expenses go, it was pretty much a couple of tanks of helium, a package of balloons and a package of Chinese lanterns. We called in a few favors for locations. I think we spent less than $200.

There were a few slider shots. We had a Blackbird (glidecam) on hand, but I don't think we used it much, if at all. We didn't have a crane –*we just climbed to some interesting places to shoot from interesting angles.
David Lavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Very nice video. Also love the "no fear" attitude. So many won't do anything unless they have the latest gear.
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:15 AM   #7
Major Player

Thank you for the breakdown. I think you did a great job. Did the artist like the video?
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Yes, Jenny and Tyler were happy with the video. They were very open to the whole thing and easy to work with, which made the experimentation less stressful. We're usually pretty open with people, and say, "Here's the safe and sure thing. Here's what we think we can do, though, and it could be way cooler. It could also look bad, and then we'll have to reevaluate."

If you haven't checked out directing duo The Daniels yet, I highly suggest looking up their work. They've moved on to bigger budgets now, but they made a name for themselves with really clever and huge ideas on a low budget. We stumbled across their work early on, devoured their behind the scenes videos, and learned a lot from them.
David Lavender is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD > EOS Crop Sensor (APS-C) Sample Clips Gallery