50hz flicker example at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery
Post your 1D / 5D / 6D clips here... Vimeo links will automatically embed a player right in the post.

Old December 18th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #1
50hz flicker example
Josh Dahlberg Josh Dahlberg is offline December 18th, 2008, 07:21 PM

I took my 5d to a shopping area today to discover 50hz flicker (in signs, shop windows, reflections) splashing about everywhere.

I've posted an example on Vimeo, shot with a 24mm Nikkor @f2.8. My friend is sitting outside, but there's a chemist with 50hz lighting in the background.

My apologies for the jerky motion - I let Vimeo convert 30p>24... I should have done that myself.

Canon 5DmkII 50hz flicker on Vimeo

Josh Dahlberg
Major Player
Views: 2641
Old December 18th, 2008, 07:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Try to pay attention to the shutter speed. Test it again. It should work.
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 07:49 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Kassovitz View Post
Try to pay attention to the shutter speed. Test it again. It should work.
Hi Mathieu, can you elaborate? Has a solution been found for easily achieving a desirable shutter speed? I must have missed it. Thanks.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 09:32 PM   #4
Major Player

You just need a multiple of the electrical system's frequency. I mean a shutter speed that can match the 50Hz frequency. 1/100th, 1/50th . . . should work fine in New Zealand.
Old December 18th, 2008, 10:10 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
You just need a multiple of the electrical system's frequency. I mean a shutter speed that can match the 50Hz frequency. 1/100th, 1/50th . . . should work fine in New Zealand.
Okay, but we can't effectively control shutter speed with the 5D mkII, and therein lies the problem. How does one set a shutter of 1/100th or 1/50th? In video mode, even the shutter speed info provided is often patently false, as others have noted.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Dahlberg View Post
Okay, but we can't effectively control shutter speed with the 5D mkII, and therein lies the problem. How does one set a shutter of 1/100th or 1/50th? In video mode, even the shutter speed info provided is often patently false, as others have noted.
In movie mode? Seems not. Only exposure simulation.

Take a look:

Canon 5D Mark 2 Video Aperture Manipulation Demo on Vimeo

1/100th with f/5.6 but 1/50th with the least aperture. Or . . . manual lenses control.
Old December 19th, 2008, 01:20 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
In movie mode? Seems not. Only exposure simulation.

Take a look:

Canon 5D Mark 2 Video Aperture Manipulation Demo on Vimeo

1/100th with f/5.6 but 1/50th with the least aperture. Or . . . manual lenses control.
Hi Mathieu... thanks for the link. These tricks to get the camera behaving are all good fun and games - and useful for personal projects - but not very practical when you have a paying client and you have to repeat the steps over and over again every take.

I can't complain too much, because I knew the camera had limitations when I bought it, but I really hope Canon will make a few simple changes in a firmware update so we don't have to fool around.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery