DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   5DmkII in African bright light (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/140140-5dmkii-african-bright-light.html)

Dan Chung December 22nd, 2008 02:21 PM

5DmkII in African bright light

My latest attempt from Uganda. Pretty much all run and gun apart from the interview. Anne Enright in Uganda shot on 5DmkII on Vimeo

Dan

Barry Goyette December 22nd, 2008 02:43 PM

Dan,

Another great job. Thanks for sharing your continued adventure with this camera, with us.

You mention in your notes using the zeiss contax 85mm 1.4 with the camera, and I wonder what kind of adapter you found to work with it. I have this lens, and I looked at some adapters which seem to indicate that the 5d mirror might hit some of the contax lens flanges (I believe this lens was on the "bad" list)...so I'd love to know what you used.

Barry Goyette

James Miller December 22nd, 2008 03:02 PM

Hi Dan,

Welcome back, another great looking shoot with 5Dmk2. Sorry you had problems with the ND filters due to the matt box but I am a sucker for fast shutter rates.

I love the distance shot on the road and in general the shots look very sharp with lots of detail.

What other problems did you have other than the ones mentioned on Vimeo.

And what was your workflow on the mac.

Great stuff,

BR, James

Don Miller December 22nd, 2008 03:19 PM

Wonderful piece. Beautiful shots. Your framing and use of DOF was right on the money. Imagine is you had a camera with manual control!

Perhaps the 5DII doesn't shoot test charts well, but to my ordinary eye that video is gorgeous.

Oleg Kalyan December 22nd, 2008 03:29 PM

Dan, great work, and good cause!

You seem to handle the contrast of the camera quite well, do you mind telling how you worked with the gamma to make it so pleasing, (your workflow in general)

Cheers!

Tyler Franco December 22nd, 2008 03:47 PM

Dan, best work with this camera yet! I think everything about it is perfect. Sure, the shutter speed is a bit high, but I didn't find it distracting. Those Nikon lenses look great.

Bob Thompson December 22nd, 2008 04:57 PM

Dan, great work. The visuals and sound are stunning. Did you end up using the camera direct sound or your backup?

Waiting to see your next effort, maybe snow and the Great Wall ?

Bob

PS: Any production stills

Matthew Roddy December 22nd, 2008 05:21 PM

That was fantastic, Dan. Great work.
I love seeing how much great work can be done when this camera is in the right hands.

I too am curious about how you solved the Audio Quandary.
Also, I'd love to see your RR/5DM2 rig. Any stills of that?

Daniel Browning December 23rd, 2008 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Chung (Post 982428)
Pretty much all run and gun apart from the interview.

Thanks for the clip.

Was the interview shot on green screen and combined later? Did you perform any additional noise reduction or sharpening in post?

Oleg Kalyan December 25th, 2008 09:44 AM

Dan, one more question, and if anyone else knows..

how do you set your Nikons 17-35 f2.8, 80-200 f2.8 and similar to 2.8?
they bu default are closed, at least mine 70 200 is closed down to highest F stop, do you put something inside to keep it open at 2.8??

Don Miller December 25th, 2008 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oleg Kalyan (Post 983719)
Dan, one more question, and if anyone else knows..

how do you set your Nikons 17-35 f2.8, 80-200 f2.8 and similar to 2.8?
they bu default are closed, at least mine 70 200 is closed down to highest F stop, do you put something inside to keep it open at 2.8??

Oleg, he's using non-G lenses with aperture rings. The G's can be wedged open with a piece of plastic.

Oleg Kalyan December 25th, 2008 06:28 PM

Don, thank you!