DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   5D mark II video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/140167-5d-mark-ii-video.html)

Vladimir Chaloupka December 22nd, 2008 08:05 PM

5D mark II video

I've had my mark II for a few days and just finished editing my first clips in FCP:
Winter on Vimeo

Tried some variety, including night footage, hand held indoor shots (including some out of town friends, and fiancee Rachel and 3-month-old daughter Mira!) and the band Nosotros playing at El Farol in Santa Fe.

Overall, I just love the camera, the IS in the 24-105 really helps, and wide primes like the 24 and 35 can be handheld, although I think focusing is the biggest challenge.

Oleg Kalyan December 23rd, 2008 02:07 AM

Nice video, where was it shot, pretty dog!

Vladimir Chaloupka December 23rd, 2008 02:19 AM

Thanks Oleg!
It was shot in Santa Fe, New Mexico (and more snow is coming down tonight!)

Don Miller December 23rd, 2008 04:42 AM

Very nice. Has a strong sense of place. How do you like this camera compared to your older camcorders?
The color and 3Dness of your shots are great. In a few of the daylight scenes the blacks are really crushed. I hope we can keep the film look but avoid solid black.
Like your dog. I have an Australian Shepard who is similar.

Vladimir Chaloupka December 23rd, 2008 04:19 PM

Thank you Don--I'll try to experiment with the picture styles to see if I can open up the blacks a bit, but in general I like the contrasty, punchy image. I'm telling you, I haven't even touched my XH-A1 last week--just want to keep shooting with the 5D. Especially in low light there's really no comparison.

Rod Cole December 23rd, 2008 04:53 PM

So Jealous

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vladimir Chaloupka (Post 982627)
I've had my mark II for a few days and just finished editing my first clips in FCP:
Winter on Vimeo

Tried some variety, including night footage, hand held indoor shots (including some out of town friends, and fiancee Rachel and 3-month-old daughter Mira!) and the band Nosotros playing at El Farol in Santa Fe.

Overall, I just love the camera, the IS in the 24-105 really helps, and wide primes like the 24 and 35 can be handheld, although I think focusing is the biggest challenge.

Loved your short film. Santa Fe is my home but I am stuck here in Texas and I really miss it, especially the Farolitos lining all the buildings at Christmas.

I am loving my 5D Mk II. Shot my first short film (Bikers vs. Geeks II) with it Sunday. We captured audio externally with my Rode shotgun microphone onto a Fostex FR2.

Loved your choice of music. Which artist on Triple Scoop?

Keep the Santa Fe films coming for those of us stuck somewhere else.

Mike Medlock December 23rd, 2008 05:24 PM

Rod, ironically while you are in Austin wishing you were in NM, I am in LA wishing I was in Austin!

Vlad, great work!!! Convinced me to place an order for the kit today for delivery (hopefully) tomorrow.

Matthew Roddy December 23rd, 2008 06:12 PM

Lovely footage! Snow in Santa Fe just can't be beat. And the rest of your footage, of course was amazing. Also, nice editing.

I'm wondering if you somehow protected your camera against the elements.
I read (somewhere), "The 5D Mark ii is more weather resistant than the original 5d."
What does that mean? Just how much weather can I brave? I'm guessing I don't want to go into pouring rain, but what about a drizzel? I won't walk into the waves, but can I shoot while getting misted by ocean serf or what about a heavy, wet fog/mist?

Rod Cole December 23rd, 2008 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Medlock (Post 983100)
Rod, ironically while you are in Austin wishing you were in NM, I am in LA wishing I was in Austin!

Vlad, great work!!! Convinced me to place an order for the kit today for delivery (hopefully) tomorrow.

Mike:

If one must live in Texas, Austin certainly is not too bad. It is about the only place in Texas I would live. Unfortunately, the once vibrant film industry here is not doing well thanks to huge incentives from the states of NM, Louisiana, and Michigan which have done a good job slowing it down and a lot of folks have left.

I would certainly prefer Austin over LA as well.

You will certainly love what you can do with the 5D Mk II despite its quirkiness. I hope Canon will listen to the filmmaker community and respond with full manual control.

Vladimir Chaloupka December 23rd, 2008 10:42 PM

Thanks Rod--the artist from Triple Scoop is Shotgun Radio.

Mike, I know you'll enjoy your new 5D II--that's a pretty good x-mas present!

Matthew, I was pretty careful with it especially since it's so new, so I had a rain cover over it, but I'm guessing it could handle some light rain....

Darren Jew December 27th, 2008 03:31 AM

Lovely. Can't wait to see the next one.