DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Canon 5d Mk II first digital camera used for official presidential portrait (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/141586-canon-5d-mk-ii-first-digital-camera-used-official-presidential-portrait.html)

Max Hirn January 14th, 2009 06:55 PM

Canon 5d Mk II first digital camera used for official presidential portrait

This is, of course, not very relevant, yet I thought it a fun fact given the upcoming weekend:

The First Official Presidential Portrait Taken With a Digital Camera

Chris Hurd January 14th, 2009 08:03 PM

(EXIF data reveals that it is the 5D2).

That's a nice bit of trivia.... and on a related note:

1. Name the first U.S. President to appear on television.

2. Name the first U.S. President to appear on motion picture film.

3. Name the first U.S. President to sit for a portrait via photographic process.

Christopher Witz January 14th, 2009 08:29 PM

on TV... Franklin Delano Roosevelt

in a motion picture.... William McKinley

and a photographic portrait.... Abraham Lincoln

Jon Fairhurst January 14th, 2009 11:15 PM

At CES, Canon showed some large prints from their EOS line, including the 5D MkII. Some were simply gorgeous.

I should really get one of my better photos printed and framed - even if it's not a presidential portrait.

Does anybody know what the sweet spot is for nice largish prints (say, up to 20-inches long) at cheapskate prices?

Chris Hurd January 15th, 2009 07:50 AM

Canon has a 13x19 printer (the PIXMA Pro9000) for under $400; offer its large prints as part of your business services and let it pay for itself.

Kevin Shaw January 15th, 2009 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 995193)
Does anybody know what the sweet spot is for nice largish prints (say, up to 20-inches long) at cheapskate prices?

Shutterfly offers 8x10 prints for $3.99, 11x14 for $7.99, 16x20 for $17.99 and 20x30 for $22.99. Unless you make a lot of prints and get really good deals on photo paper and ink, ordering your prints from such suppliers may be cheaper than trying to do it yourself at home.

Jon Fairhurst January 15th, 2009 12:31 PM

Chris & Kevin,

Thanks for the info. I don't offer business services, and don't need many prints, so the Shutterfly route is attractive. For five extra bucks, I might as well get a 30" print, rather than a 20".

Jenn Kramer January 15th, 2009 07:18 PM

Mpix also offers those services, and I've heard good things about them from a professional photographer I know:

Mpix.com - Print Pricing

Christopher Witz January 16th, 2009 08:29 AM

the shame to me is that this photo looks like a passport photo.... compared to all the fantastic photographs of Barack over the past year.... the cover of Fastcompany mag, Wired, Time, etc.

I don't know... maybe there is a marketing approach to plane jane.... simple.... less is more?

Chris Hurd January 16th, 2009 08:49 AM

Well, it's a presidential portrait, not a magazine cover. I think it's perfectly appropriate.