DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Muse - My First Ever Short Film (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/141736-muse-my-first-ever-short-film.html)

Edmond Terakopian January 17th, 2009 09:39 AM

Muse - My First Ever Short Film

Greetings All,

I'm new here and new to all this video stuff!

I've finished my first ever short film which was shot on the Canon 5D MkII.

For the 720 HD version, please see:

Muse on Vimeo

For the Full 1080 HD version (and other sizes):

terakopian : photos : Muse- powered by SmugMug

I would really appreciate any feedback as its a first for me; your comments either here or on the web sites in question would really be appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Edmond

Ralph Schoberth January 17th, 2009 01:21 PM

nice
what picture style did you you used and what sharpening setting?
I guess you locked the exposure not to get the iso 3200?

Edmond Terakopian January 18th, 2009 06:29 AM

Muse - technical

Hi Ralph,

Everything was on zero, so no picture style. Most of the WB was done custom with a couple of occasions using the preset tungsten. The exposure was locked on all scenes, but I didn't lock it in a way to stop it going to 3200. In some of the darker scenes (like the wine glass) I'm sure it was at 3200 ASA.

Edmond

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph Schoberth (Post 996452)
nice
what picture style did you you used and what sharpening setting?
I guess you locked the exposure not to get the iso 3200?

Edmond Terakopian January 24th, 2009 08:23 AM

Muse - technical

Greetings All,

I've had a few people complaining that the Vimeo version stutters at points; if you've found this, please watch it on the SmugMug site - this seems to work better for most.

Also, a note of thanks to those who have watched it - its had over 16,700 views so far! Many thanks to those who have posted feedback.

Cheers,

Edmond

Toenis Liivamaegi January 24th, 2009 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edmond Terakopian (Post 1000182)
Also, a note of thanks to those who have watched it - its had over 16,700 views so far! Many thanks to those who have posted feedback.

Your "Muse" was my deciding point to get the 5D, I showed the downloadable version to many of my colleagues and everyone was amazed just because of the outside shots, you simply can not get this kind of shots with any other camera at any price. This will save production costs 2x the price of one 5D per one scene setup considering lightning and grip costs but to get that night city sky glow, almost impossible - priceless.
And you short film deserves much more views that the "Reverie" that in my mind is absolutely crappy in story and narrative way that should be present in a moving picture but the circumstances were not as they are today.

Cheers,
T

Julius Tan January 24th, 2009 10:12 AM

Great work.

Now I am salivating for the 5D. I have to save more to buy it within the next 3 months.

Edmond Terakopian January 25th, 2009 06:21 AM

Hi Toenis,

You won't regret getting the camera; it opens up so many creative avenues.
Thank you so much for your extremely kind words. I very much appreciate all that you have said. As you have said though, when Vincent shot Reverie, circumstances were different. To have a couple of days to shoot a film with a product that hadn't existed before, certainly would have been hard to say the least. Reverie did open all our eyes to what the 5D MkII is capable of, and in that respect is a success.

Again, many thanks for your great complements,

Edmond

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toenis Liivamaegi (Post 1000193)
Your "Muse" was my deciding point to get the 5D, I showed the downloadable version to many of my colleagues and everyone was amazed just because of the outside shots, you simply can not get this kind of shots with any other camera at any price. This will save production costs 2x the price of one 5D per one scene setup considering lightning and grip costs but to get that night city sky glow, almost impossible - priceless.
And you short film deserves much more views that the "Reverie" that in my mind is absolutely crappy in story and narrative way that should be present in a moving picture but the circumstances were not as they are today.

Cheers,
T

Edmond Terakopian January 25th, 2009 06:22 AM

Hi Julius,

Many thanks. As the camera I used was a review unit for the British Journal of Photography (for whom I wrote a two part review), so I'm saving up too!!

Good luck,

Edmond

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julius Tan (Post 1000220)
Great work.

Now I am salivating for the 5D. I have to save more to buy it within the next 3 months.

Tomeu Santandreu January 26th, 2009 12:50 AM

Free flicker in Europe!

Hi Edmond.

You have done an impressive work, congratulations. Not only the image is superb, the story is very good too! Most of times one wants to have the best equipement but to achieve a good work you need great ideas.

I have noticied that your video has no flicker and of course is filmed in Europe. How have you achieved this?
Shutter speed 1/30?

Thanks.

Tomeu Santandreu
Serra i Costes - Fotografia Mallorca

Edmond Terakopian January 27th, 2009 05:28 AM

Thanks Tomeu, you're very kind.
To be honest, I don't have a clue what the shutter speed was. As its a 5D MkII, this is set automatically.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomeu Santandreu (Post 1001126)
Hi Edmond.

You have done an impressive work, congratulations. Not only the image is superb, the story is very good too! Most of times one wants to have the best equipement but to achieve a good work you need great ideas.

I have noticied that your video has no flicker and of course is filmed in Europe. How have you achieved this?
Shutter speed 1/30?

Thanks.

Tomeu Santandreu
Serra i Costes - Fotografia Mallorca

Toenis Liivamaegi January 27th, 2009 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomeu Santandreu (Post 1001126)
Hi Edmond.
Shutter speed 1/30?

I have shot INT and EXT scenes here in Estonia and rarely seen any flickering @30/40/50/80 I have auto lightning optimizer turned to "strong". I'll test with all the CFLs in the studio today to see if and how will the flickering occur if at all. I see at least 10 5D clips a day drom different corners of the world and flickering is really really rare, I haven't seen any actually if I remember correctly.

T

Tomeu Santandreu January 27th, 2009 06:54 AM

Hi Edmond and Teonis.

Teonis... Maybe Im stupid but do you have in Estonia 50Hz AC?

I just want to be sure.

Im not sure if to buy a 5D mII or wait for the replacement of the 1D mIII. Flickering is the main issue Im worried about, I prefer to pay more money for a flicker free one, that's 25p. I hope 1D mIII will have it.

Tomeu Santandreu