DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   My 1st 5dmk2 movie. Edited on iMovie (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/142022-my-1st-5dmk2-movie-edited-imovie.html)

Mark Moreve January 21st, 2009 07:50 AM

My 1st 5dmk2 movie. Edited on iMovie

Hi
I found myself with a bit of time to kill yesterday so went down to the local park & filmed with my 5dmk2. This is the 1st time I have had a chance to shoot with the camera since I got it and it really did bring up some interesting issues. I guess the exposure thing is the biggest, I just set the camera recording then pushed AE lock! Also I was using a Seceed sch-120 fluid tripod but still found there to be "lag" or judder when panning even though I had the image stabilizer switched off.( anybody else found this?) I used two lenses both Canon the 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 L & the 24 -70mm f2.8. It was a really flat day so on a couple of wide shots I used a ND 0.9 grad on the sky but I found it best to run the camera lock the exposure then slide the grad in! I got home excited to edit it & found that you can't ( or I can't) edit the footage in Final cut express 3.5 so I ended up using iMovie for the first time. I don't like iMovie! it's a bit like the 5dmk2's exposure system in video mode. No real control!! But anyway I then managed to get it onto Vimeo & I'm pleased I managed to make the whole workflow, work. I think that iMovie must Compress it a lot but I'm not so technical so maybe one of you guys can tell me if it does & then Vimeo must compress it to? In total it ended up as 383mb. Have a look.
I Like Birds ! on Vimeo
All the best
Mark

Jim Miller January 21st, 2009 09:45 AM

Sounds like you went to a lot of trouble to make it all come together but it worked!. I noticed a little jiggle on one of the pans and a few little artifacts in one of the shots from compression but overall you did a nice job. the music was perfect. I get my MKII next week . Can't wait to give it a try.

Yang Wen January 21st, 2009 11:14 AM

What version of iMovie?

Mark Moreve January 21st, 2009 03:16 PM

Hi Yang
It's version 7.1.4
cheers
Mark

Yang Wen January 21st, 2009 07:27 PM

Thanks Mark.. Could that version of iMovie not transcode 5D2 files to another HD format? Or did you simply exported it out as SD?

Neil Bolton January 23rd, 2009 11:51 PM

Mark

That's great!

I really loved it!

Neil

David Toerge September 13th, 2010 09:56 AM

Final Cut Express 4

OK- so now I have a great camera, the 5dMk2- I found out after I bought it you can't use CS3 to view the raw files- I had to upgrade to CS5-Now I find that I can't log and transfer to Final Cut Express and need FCP. Oh joy another 1000 dollars. I then found out you need to convert the footage into ProRes- is that true?
This camera may deliver great footage IF you can get it into a usable format- ,use a tripod ,get a loupe for focusing- oh well it is a good still camera.
Also, My exposure is very erratic. Are the focus points Linked to the exposure meter? Is there a way to uncouple focus and metering.
Thanks- great forum
dt