My first entirely 5dmkII straight news report published at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery

EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery
Post your 1D / 5D / 6D clips here... Vimeo links will automatically embed a player right in the post.

Old January 23rd, 2009, 06:41 AM   #1
My first entirely 5dmkII straight news report published
Dan Chung Dan Chung is offline January 23rd, 2009, 06:41 AM

On Youtube here YouTube - China: Rising unemployment hits migrant workers

I've done alot with the 5dmkII but up till now I've not done a straight TV style news package so I thought I'd try it out. I normally use my Sony EX-3 for this. It went on the front of the Guardian website (in low res of course) for a good while today so I'm quite happy. The important bit is that the sound is all straight into the camera too (apart from the voice overs), I used a Sony radio mic which has a headphone jack in the reciever so I could at least monitor what was being sent to the camera. Usual selection of Nikon lenses were used.

I'd be really interested to know what people think.

Dan

Dan Chung
Major Player
Views: 3402
Old January 23rd, 2009, 06:48 AM   #2
Major Player

Well done, thanks for sharing!
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:39 AM   #3
Major Player

The video is down temporarily, I'll post again when its fixed.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 08:02 AM   #4
Major Player

Seems to work again, not sure what's going on!

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 08:16 AM   #5
Major Player

Great job Dan, I loved the camera angles.

Only one comment, its a pity you don't have an older english speaking person for your dub of the "old" Chinese man.

One thing for sure is we definitely know now that the camera works well in low temperatures as Beijing has been very cold lately.

Kung Hei Faat Choy

Bob

PS: I love your best still shots of the Year on the Guardian website http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesi...23/photography

Last edited by Bob Thompson; January 23rd, 2009 at 08:29 AM. Reason: added PS
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:52 AM   #6
Major Player

The 5D MKII is so unobtrusive, in that it has a form factor that looks like a DSLR and not a camcorder. This creates a candid, spontaneous feel to the videos, that you usually don't see in news reporting. Good work.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:04 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bloomfield View Post
The 5D MKII is so unobtrusive, in that it has a form factor that looks like a DSLR and not a camcorder. This creates a candid, spontaneous feel to the videos, that you usually don't see in news reporting. Good work.
This is 99% of this camera trick. I cannot understand how 99% of its detractors cannot see it.
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:54 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Nicely done!

My only criticism is that the mic is dull and lacking high frequencies. That's probably due to the mic and radio, more than the camera.

The stealthiness of the camera definitely works to your advantage.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 12:49 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Kassovitz View Post
This is 99% of this camera trick. I cannot understand how 99% of its detractors cannot see it.
Dan's video is exactly the kind of use that Canon intended for the 5D MKII video. The camera's small number of "detractors" (and I believe them to be either fanbois of some other brand and/or a competing technology) keep trying to criticize the 5D MKII on the basis that it isn't perfect for doing a feature length film. Well, duhhh! This is equivalent to criticizing the Toyota Prius, because it can't tow a trailer full of concrete blocks up a steep mountain road. (BTW, I just violated my own sacred rule of using car analogies).
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 01:27 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Dan's video is exactly the kind of use that Canon intended for the 5D MKII video.
You're exactly right. And I would hope that Canon recognizes that Dan is using adapters and Nikon lenses, so he can control the camera to the level needed by a photo/video journalist.

By providing manual control, journalists would be able to carry a single set of Canon lenses, and deliver quality video, without losing the AF and IS features desired for stills.

(However, I don't want to hijack this thread with my standard Canon rant. This thread is really about Dan's experience with the camera, and this video in particular.)
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:29 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Dan's video is exactly the kind of use that Canon intended for the 5D MKII video. The camera's small number of "detractors" (and I believe them to be either fanbois of some other brand and/or a competing technology) keep trying to criticize the 5D MKII on the basis that it isn't perfect for doing a feature length film. Well, duhhh! This is equivalent to criticizing the Toyota Prius, because it can't tow a trailer full of concrete blocks up a steep mountain road. (BTW, I just violated my own sacred rule of using car analogies).
Jay, I don't think asking for a the most limited amount of control over shooting HD on an otherwise state-of-the-art camera has got anything to do with being "perfect for doing a feature film" That's way over the top hyperbole. "Duhhhh" is a really unnecessary way of talking down to intelligent people.

Right now, many people used to at least rudimentarty manual controls on about every camera available in the past decade are just frustrated that they cannot even keep a consistent shutter speed from shot to shot or maintain an exposure from shot to shot which makes work tedious and uncreative and makes a consistent look virtually impossible.

No one I know is asking for XLR audio or headphone amps or zebras and color bars...just the simple ability to choose what shutter speed you're filming at and the ability (like every other camera DSLR or video that I'm aware of) to maintain the settings you've attained (even if you have to "trick" your camera with a flashlight) once you've set them.

There's auto control and then there's limiting your customers beyond reason and I think there is a real flaw in Canon's development in that regard - and there's a reasonable compromise that I'm about to post under " A Reasonable Compromise" thread.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:57 PM   #12
Major Player

Someone on DVInet *must* have a contact, or an email address at Canon where we can send a short, one-line, "Please, Canon, give us manual control over the shutter and aperture on the 5D mk II so I don't have to keep buying Nikon lenses" email. If Canon hears from a lot of people, they'll surely understand that we are just the vocal minority and that this feature is an absolute necessity.

Julian
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:03 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Giberti View Post
Right now, many people used to at least rudimentarty manual controls on about every camera available in the past decade are just frustrated that they cannot even keep a consistent shutter speed from shot to shot or maintain an exposure from shot to shot which makes work tedious and uncreative and makes a consistent look virtually impossible.
I think this overstates the problem Jim. It's a challenge to get a consistent look from shot to shot (use Nikon lenses, shine light, hit AE Lock, adjust exposure compensation), but it can be done, within limits.

The problem is that it's time consuming an annoying on every shot. Also, many desirable settings are simply not available. Getting consistent settings from shot to shot are not a problem. They are obtainable, but not at a moment's notice.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:17 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
I think this overstates the problem Jim. It's a challenge to get a consistent look from shot to shot (use Nikon lenses, shine light, hit AE Lock, adjust exposure compensation), but it can be done, within limits.

The problem is that it's time consuming an annoying on every shot. Also, many desirable settings are simply not available. Getting consistent settings from shot to shot are not a problem. They are obtainable, but not at a moment's notice.
Well if you're in the creative business Jon - time is money. A great tool that allows you to get what you want slowly is not a very professional tool especially in the 21st century and especially when it is easily addressable so I don't think I over stated anything.

And you're wrong that "they are obtainable". 1/60 shutter speed is pretty critical to quality work at 30p. It's the default setting in fact as is 1/48 in 24p. There is thread after thread around the net regarding the near impossibility to achieve 1/60 at all, or repeatedly.

If you have a way to achieve it without unacceptably high ISO and noise I and lot's of people would love to know it. I have a reasonable proposal to do both.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:20 PM   #15
Major Player

Hey Dan...nice work.
What exactly was recorded using the onboard mic, just the ambience?
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery