DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Final version on my Shanghai film now up (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/142414-final-version-my-shanghai-film-now-up.html)

Dan Chung January 26th, 2009 08:54 AM

Final version on my Shanghai film now up

The final version of my recent film from Shanghai that I posted an earlier edit from is now online with english subtitles here YouTube - Forgotten Shanghai: The Longchang apartments

Dan

Julius Tan January 26th, 2009 08:59 AM

The apartment block reminds me of the movie Kung Fu Hustle.

Great detailed shots, anyway

Dan Chung January 26th, 2009 09:05 AM

Apparantly the block was the inspiration for the 'Pig cage stronghold' in Kung Fu Hustle.

Dan

Hunter Richards January 30th, 2009 05:03 PM

Dan-

I noticed your footage isnt showing much (if any) moire or aliasing -maybe its just the compression that is helping? Are you using any filters or doing any "tricks"?

Noah Yuan-Vogel January 31st, 2009 04:03 PM

Do aliased 1080p videos ever show aliasing when downconverted to very compressed 720p? I dont imagine they would. I can see little soft steps that seem like they could be remnants of aliasing that would have been visible at full res, but its really too hard to tell after the downconvert.

Yeah first thing i thought of was kung fu hustle, too. Are there any other apartment complexes like that?

Jon Fairhurst January 31st, 2009 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noah Yuan-Vogel (Post 1004624)
Do aliased 1080p videos ever show aliasing when downconverted to very compressed 720p?

It depends. A single aliased edge often looks better when down-res'd. A whole shirt or tile rooftop that's shimmering will typically still shimmer no matter how much you filter and scale.

Tony Wu February 2nd, 2009 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Chung (Post 1001262)
The final version of my recent film from Shanghai that I posted an earlier edit from is now online with english subtitles here YouTube - Forgotten Shanghai: The Longchang apartments

Dan

Hi Dan,
A lovely documentary, some very nice compositions. I noticed on 1:36 to about 1:38, the scene with barking dog, you have a slow tripod pan and the frame kinda jumps. Did you have this on your original footage or is it only on internet playback. I'm asking this because I'm getting this similar frame shifting or jumping when I'm shooting on tripod.

It happens intermittently and you can see I couldn't replicate it again in the clip. The severity of the "shifting" varies from obvious (as in the clip) to very subtle. The lens was dislodged to set aperture. Exposure lock on. I've noticed the lower the ISO, the more obvious and frequent the shifting or jumping.

Sachtler V18 Tripod
Canon 24-70L 2.8
Shutter - 50
ISO - 250
fstop - 2.8
focal - 50 mm to 70mm

I'll send the Vimeo clip soon after it's finished uploading.

t