DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Music Video With 5D Mark II (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/239878-music-video-5d-mark-ii.html)

Dana Rice July 28th, 2009 01:42 AM

Music Video With 5D Mark II

A no budget music video I made for a friend a few weeks ago

Solution - Yummy By Dana Rice On ExposureRoom

Richard Gooderick July 28th, 2009 04:17 AM

Sorry. I don't usually have a problem with flashing lights but I literally started feeling ill when watching this.

The photography looks good but I have a problem with the editing. The music sounded good too.

Anton Chernenko July 28th, 2009 04:45 AM

I like the music, but constant flashing kept me distracted

Buba Kastorski July 28th, 2009 07:20 AM

Sorry, couldn't watch the whole thing, it's, flashy

Jim Miller July 28th, 2009 08:58 AM

Powerful song and story. But I have to agree with others - tone down some of the flashing - I know gun flash energy but with the song so powerful I don't think you need as many flash shots. Just my two cents - loved it though.

Brian Boyko July 28th, 2009 10:00 AM

I think I almost had a seizure.

Matthew Roddy July 28th, 2009 10:23 AM

Agreed with above: good shooting, good performances, nice editing, powerful song, harsh editing. Too frenetic and difficult to watch (read, "flashing").
I wonder how the "younger generation" react to it, though; The 12-18 crowd.

Ali Jafri July 28th, 2009 11:26 AM

What's wrong with you lot? It wasn't as bad as you make it sound! I thought it was going to be like staring at a strobe light for 5 minutes, but it wasn't like that at all! I was surprised that none of the comments offered any advice or encouragement or positive criticism. Yes, the video is a little over the top, but surely it didn't deserve to be shot down like that.

Dana, I guess you do have to take everyone's opinion and learn by it. Personally, I thought it was well shot. Sure, there are problems, and I would like to offer you my opinion rather than discourage you completely.

The problem that I had the most was that it played more like an effects show reel rather than a music video. It seems like you used every effect you could lay your hands on and that simply overshadowed the song and its message. A good editor I think compliments the song and goes with its rhythm and feel which I think this video does not do. The music has a down tempo and a sombre story whereas the video is like a science fiction car chase on crack. The singer is totally overshadowed by the effects and the story of the song is lost.

Sure, you can make a fast-paced edit look super cool. In fact, all my favourite films and music videos are ones with quick edits and wild camera work. I love the end car chase in Bourne Ultimatum for instance although many have said its too fast and jerky.

As an editor I have also made super-fast edits for music videos myself. Here's the link to something similar I've done: Boundaries Broken on Vimeo

You can see that I've kept a uniform flash (static) and after a few views your eyes and brain adjusts to the flashes because you expect it. Your video had so much variety of flashes that the brain just isn't able to catch up.

Otherwise, good job, and I'm looking forward to seeing you next video. Remember, as a music video editor you become part of the band in their music video, follow the rhythm and the feel, follow the story and its message. You can darken a video of a sombre song and brighten a video of a happy song, its all in your hands. Play the edit like you're playing the song.

Cheers!

Matthew Roddy July 28th, 2009 01:16 PM

For the record:
Richard said, "The photography looks good..."
Anton said, "I like the music..."
Jim said, "Powerful song and story." & "loved it..."
Matthew said, "good shooting, good performances, nice editing, powerful song"

Not bad reviews, in my opinion. And the crits all pointed to one thing.
I think that's pretty constructive overall. Only a few comments that weren't directly helpful, and even those, well, you just have to read between the lines - but I agree, CONSTRUCTIVE crits are best.

Norman Lang August 1st, 2009 05:34 AM

Big Potential

Really liked the performance. Powerful song. Great visuals. The flashing thing could be reworked a little, but the strength of the images and the song make this the real deal. Very nice work.

Tom Daigon August 1st, 2009 06:53 AM

Nice job. Another editor here (30 years). I like the flash cuts,,,and what makes them work for me is they are broken up with "regular" shots. So the pacing seems to have a rhythm that works for me. Nice textures, too.!