DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Another Spectacular 5D Creation (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/240133-another-spectacular-5d-creation.html)

Tom Daigon August 1st, 2009 06:13 PM

Another Spectacular 5D Creation

Watch this on vimeo in HD. A beautiful piece by Robin Risser. I think its another 5D classic.

Solitude on Vimeo

Tramm Hudson August 1st, 2009 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Daigon (Post 1179684)
Watch this on vimeo in HD. A beautiful piece by Robin Risser. I think its another 5D classic.
Solitude on Vimeo

That was absolutely stunning. One of my favorite descriptions of 5D footage is not that it is "film-like" or "filmic", but that it looks like glossy magazine photos come to life. This goes even further and looks like stills from a fine art book.

Denis OKeefe August 1st, 2009 06:58 PM

its like Vogue jumped off the coffee table and walked around. Amazing.

Dan Brockett August 2nd, 2009 09:05 AM

I was just in France, shooting a doc in some of the same areas that Robin filmed in. I will say this about the French. I don't think you would ever see a piece like this from an American artist. The French have an eye and appreciation for beauty that is not present in our culture. Not that there aren't accomplished visual artists in other cultures, of course, there are but I see no other society that values beauty as much as the French, other than perhaps the Japanese but their aesthetic is very different. As an audience, the French have much more appreciation for the aesthetic than we do.

It was all brought home for me when I was exploring the Catacombs underneath the streets of Paris. If you look at the Catacombs in other countries like Italy and Spain, you see the entire skeletons/bodies, usually neatly stacked. But in the Catacombs in Paris, the bones were all stacked by type, all of the femurs in this section, all of the skulls here, etc. What impressed me is that not only were all of the bones stacked with almost mathematical precision, the workers back on the 1700 and 1800s had used the bones to make beautiful geometric patterns, even one section had skulls arranged in an almost floral arrangement. The French really value beauty more than any other culture I have seen, and I think that is illustrated in clips like this. Really well done, I loved it.

Dan

Zsolt Gordos August 2nd, 2009 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 1179878)
I see no other society that values beauty as much as the French, other than perhaps the Japanese but their aesthetic is very different. As an audience, the French have much more appreciation for the aesthetic than we do.
Dan

If the French had the same thing for story telling, then we would get our lungs dry with all the ooohs and aaahs.
Until then this is just another piece of the well-known French invention, called l'art pour l'art.

Dan Brockett August 2nd, 2009 02:59 PM

There are some good, epic French films with great story but I know what you mean. Most of the French films that I like are not terribly story driven, they are usually more circumstance driven with interesting visuals.

This clip is definitely done by a designer, not a storyteller. It's great and I really like it but I agree, not much of a story.

Dan

Jon Fairhurst August 2nd, 2009 03:18 PM

Clearly, the story was minimal by design. It's up to the viewer to interpret the story, rather than the writer/director to show it.

This isn't the case of a film that tried to tell a well defined story and failed.

Christian Ionescu August 3rd, 2009 04:56 AM

Great work and proof that 24p is meaningless!

Charles Papert August 3rd, 2009 05:28 AM

A lot of pretty images. I wasn't too enthralled with the largely flat lighting on the interiors in the first section.

Jon Fairhurst August 3rd, 2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christian Ionescu (Post 1180185)
Great work and proof that 24p is meaningless!

... for films with almost no motion. ;)