Short Film "Fade In" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery

EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery
Post your 1D / 5D / 6D clips here... Vimeo links will automatically embed a player right in the post.

Old August 24th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #1
Short Film "Fade In"
Nickolas Duarte Nickolas Duarte is offline August 24th, 2009, 03:55 PM

Purchased the 5D not too long ago and made this short film as a way to test it out. Would love to get any constructive criticism as I'd like to get better not only as a filmmaker, but working with this camera.

Fade In on Vimeo

Nickolas Duarte
New Boot
Views: 1064
Old August 25th, 2009, 11:36 AM   #2
Major Player

Wow! I thought that was awesome! Very clever and fresh.
I put my "Like" down for ya.

I only had two and a half things I MIGHT have wanted to see differently. I'm not suggesting to change anything. I'd just want to see how it plays both ways. Since you asked for opinions, here are mine:
1) There was a lot of black during the multi-screen bits. I LIKE the effect, but the amount of time you "wasted" on black could have been put to better use by bringing up supporting video or text sooner. Particularly around 1:04. Also wasn't a big fan of the following shot at 1:11; felt out of place and unmotivated.
2) At 1:24, I'd have liked to seen (heard) a "J" cut: start the music just a bit before the edit point. I'd have liked to be jarred just a bit from that serene scene. I'd have hit the music as soon as we saw, "...in."
2.5) the rack focus away from him at :20 felt unmotivated. But that's a very minor thing.

MINOR stuff to be sure. And as my first line says, I thought it was awesome.

Good Show.

Edit: I just re-read my notes above. Shows I was looking at this more as an editor, and less as a shooter. Interesting...
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #3
New Boot

Thank you very much for your thoughts. I really appreciate your notes.

1. I agree. Both of these shots feel like they were done without purpose. Kinda awkward.

2. Okay, I see what you're saying. This would really add to the jarring feeling. Makes sense.

2.5. Agreed.

Thanks again. I really appreciate it. I need these types of notes- clear and precise and specific.
Nickolas Duarte is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery