Music Video "It was so mad" (with zombies) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery

EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery
Post your 1D / 5D / 6D clips here... Vimeo links will automatically embed a player right in the post.

Old November 20th, 2009, 06:16 AM   #1
Music Video "It was so mad" (with zombies)
Thomas Weilguny Thomas Weilguny is offline November 20th, 2009, 06:16 AM

... for a local folk-punk-wotsit band. shot on two and a half days, available light only.

contains a fair bit of gore.

would love to hear your thoughts.

Thomas Weilguny
Regular Crew
Views: 1260
Old November 20th, 2009, 08:26 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Ouch... :)
Gerdy Vandermeersch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 09:00 AM   #3
Inner Circle

First, the concept is great, and you are on the right track for sure. Take my comments below with a grain of salt.

I would like to submit there is the glaring issue of a zombie appearing out of nowhere, without any setup. Something is missing from a storytelling perspective. Obviously there is supposed to be a connection between the girl and the zombies, but it is too vague, IMO.

The girl I suppose is the setup, but it just doesn't work for me. If the landscape or environment had gradually changed into something more creepy, that might have worked somehow. For example if he had been lead into a creepy house, junkyard or factory before the zombies appeared, etc....I don't know.

One thing that jumped out at me was the flautist's first shot being a closeup. Should have been a wide shot followed by closeup. I should think that in the case of that character I don't know that a closeup was even necessary.

I also didn't like how the girl zombie just stood and allowed herself to be punctured and hung, and why was the rope pulled through her, don't get it unless I missed something.

Nice shooting, keep it up.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #4
Major Player

First of all, good show in completing a project. That's the hardest part: getting it all together and following through.
And it looks like you guys had fun out there, and that shows.

I liked some of the shooting. Especially of the lady in white. She did great in the the whole first two thirds (the last bit, she seemed to loose her character a bit). Those early shots, as a sort Will-o-the-Wisp/Siren kind of character were spot on.

The rest didn't really work for me in a story-telling kind of way: it wasn't creepy, it wasn't funny, it wasn't scary, it wasn't jaunty - for me.

As was mentioned before, there was no tie-in between the lady in white and the zombies. No motivation, no follow-through.
And what happened to the flutist? She was on a roll there for a bit, then forgotten.

And I understand the "humour" behind being hung by your own entrails, but it occurs to me that if a zombie is already dead, how is hanging them by the neck going to be bad for them. It's a minour irritation at worst (and would our intestines hold our weight? - but never mind that).

I like the idea mentioned above of the lady/siren luring the lonely man into a foreboding environment. This would kind of tie it all together: she leads men to their doom be being desirable and staying one step ahead until it's too late for the hapless followers.
I felt as though I was watching a series of semi-related, but mostly random shots. I didn't get enough of a story-line to pull me along.

As far as a directing standpoint, you did better than I could have with your "action" scenes, but I encourage you to watch more movies and learn from them. The action seemed weak and had no impact on me (admittedly, I'm watching from work, in a cubical, under glaring fluorescent lights, so the mood isn't really right here).

Anyway, I really want to say about opinions... And despite the (hopefully) constructive crits here, I think you did a good job. It's tough to get this kind of thing all together and done - and you did it. Congrats. Keep on shooting and sharing.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank you for taking the time to post detailed critique! Points taken, we´ve vowed to have a stronger narrative focus the next time round.
The only thing I want to defend is the flutists close-up, it´s a glamour shot, I thought to start out with a pretty face would carry well into the less exciting shots that follow.

we´ll do better next time. promise. :)

this was our last for-fun project:
Thomas Weilguny is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery