Nighttime test of 5D Mark II in Native 24P at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery
Post your 1D / 5D / 6D clips here... Vimeo links will automatically embed a player right in the post.

Old March 16th, 2010, 06:22 PM   #1
Nighttime test of 5D Mark II in Native 24P
Randy Chia Randy Chia is offline March 16th, 2010, 06:22 PM

Hey all,

Just wanted to a post a quick nighttime test of the 5D Mark II's native 24P (Firmware 2.0.3).

Initial Thoughts:
1. Rolling shutter is still really apparent but as always, is minimized with the right stabilization. It's pretty apparent in some shots that didn't end up in here.
2. Great to have the lowlight functionality with 24P. Definitely been missing that when using the 7D as of late.
3. The weird artifacts on bright objects is still apparent. You can see it on one of the flood lights a few shots in.

Randy Chia
New Boot
Views: 2186
Old March 18th, 2010, 04:11 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Chia View Post
3. The weird artifacts on bright objects is still apparent. You can see it on one of the flood lights a few shots in.
Thanks. Could you give a timing for the artefacts. I looked twice and missed it.
Old March 18th, 2010, 04:35 PM   #3
Major Player

Check out the left-most light at 21-22 seconds, for one example.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 05:00 PM   #4
Trustee

The black spot could possibly be connected with tiny marks on one of the outer or inner glass elements. Take a look closely also at a small spot which enters the scene just after the lens flares and is directly above the blackspot on the lamplight.
That Richard missed it during normal viewing shows that it is not a truly serious problem for most scenes.
Old March 18th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick View Post
The black spot could possibly be connected with tiny marks on one of the outer or inner glass elements. Take a look closely also at a small spot which enters the scene just after the lens flares and is directly above the blackspot on the lamplight.
That Richard missed it during normal viewing shows that it is not a truly serious problem for most scenes.
Not a problem with a glass element. Just stumbled across this...

16x9 Cinema | Video Production | Photography | Motion Graphics | Visual Arts | Atlanta, Georgia - Blog - Black Dot Problem Reported on Firmware 2.0.3Update
Randy Chia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #6
Trustee

Thank you for the link, Randy. I hope it's not another firmware issue...or reverting back to the old black spot problems seen in the first issued 5D-2 bodies.

It only seems to be happening in badly blown out highlights or very overexposed scenes and bright street lights in a night scene. I've not noticed it in clips where a bright sun is part of the scene.
I'll try some tests with my cameras over the next few weeks to see if it is going to be a major problem.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery