DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   premierecs4/prospecthd/firstlight combo (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/476503-premierecs4-prospecthd-firstlight-combo.html)

Marc de Jesus April 9th, 2010 02:33 AM

premierecs4/prospecthd/firstlight combo

(sorry i turned off embed, you have to go to the vimeo link)

Above video was shot using the post flow of:
Prem and after fx CS4
Cineform's Hdlink, prospecthd and firstlight.

used mostly 50mm 1.2, 24pfirmware and glidetrack.. some 7d

very very satisfied considering it was my first major project using dslrs

Matthew Roddy April 9th, 2010 01:43 PM

Very nice.

My opinion - Aesthetic:
- I'm not a fan of shaky graphics (though I know many people are - including who I think is the inspiration of that graphic, Andrew Kramer).
Opening bit felt a little long to me
- Don't forget, a slider goes forward and backward too, not just right and left. ;-)

My opinion - Technical:
- The VO sounded like it was done in a room that was too "live." Maybe that's my speakers, but I don't often hear that "room sound" on what I do here. MAY want to consider hiring VO talent from the likes of SpeedySpots.com, InternetJock.com, PlanetCharley.com or similar.
- Using so many color schemes was a bit distracting - to me. I'd have picked a single theme and use variations of it.
- A pity our camera(s) have that frickin' moire problem. You didn't suffer much, for sure, but it was there just a little. Nothin' you can do, as far as I know.

But like my opening line said, very nice. Good graphics, nicely shot, good camera motion, nice composition, good transitions, good pacing (overall).
Definite Thumbs Up.

Marc de Jesus April 9th, 2010 04:07 PM

Thanks Matthew for the critique/compliments.

lol, im such a newbie/non-technical word guy i had to google "moire" to know what you were talkinga bout.. and actually i've noticed that effect ever since day one ive been shooting with the camera, however, i had no idea what it was called...

re: the color schemes.. agreed, it was my first time shooting with the 5d and using cineform's firstlight, that i couldnt resist the temptation to show off all the different looks i could get.. very self-indulgent. lol. almost like when a kid discovers all the different fonts on a computer.

re: the v/o. what do you mean by "live"? nevermind, i might just google this too. lol.

Matthew Roddy April 10th, 2010 10:58 PM

HAHA!
I like your attitude, Marc. Tops!

"Live," in this case, means as though it were recorded in a bare room with hard walls and floor. Just a bit of hollowness/echo to it.
When recording VOs, I typically hire out. It's a lot more affordable than one might think.
Or, when I absolutely HAVE to have someone record a voice track, I'll find the most "dead" room possible. This is typically a closet, hopefully full of clothing. This will absorb all echo from the voice and give that nice, rich sound.

As for the abundance of color schemes. It still worked for ya, mostly. The important thing is, you seem like you had fun and learned a lot - and the client was happy, yes?
Can't beat that combo!

Again, good job. Keep up the good work and excellent attitude.

Marc de Jesus April 11th, 2010 02:34 AM

lol... ahhh..

funny, i recorded the v/o in a pro soundbooth... and what made it sound live was all the audio effects i added!!!! man, i gotta pay attention more to audio, probably one of my weakest points in video i mean film production...

seriously, what do you call shooting on the 5d??? epsecialyl when recording on 24p.. digital film?? video is supposed to be 30/60 right??

Marc de Jesus April 11th, 2010 02:40 AM

btw, funny how u mention andrew kramer. the important thing with his tutorials/products is to do an american idol and make it your own.. ive seen way to many people copy his stuff... ive been guilty myself.. but yah, some of my graphics/after fx stuff definitely shows his influence.. sorta like a blues guitaris playing a bbking, buddy guy or srv riff in a solo

Paul Russell April 18th, 2010 11:16 PM

HI Marc

Nice shots, although the intro is a bit long winded.
The music doesn't quite gel at the change at 0:39.

Very nice grade, and those lenses make for wonderful DOF

Marc de Jesus April 20th, 2010 02:18 AM

Thanks Paul, I agree with the long intro...

yes, the lenses are what made the piece dramatic. I'm finally recieving my 24mm 1.4 tommorow, so im really excited about incorporating that lens....

if you haven't already, you should check out philip blooms interview with the "house" exec/director.. a lot of their reasons for going with the 5d in the finale was the awesome DOF