DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Timelapse Shot with 5D2 + Zeiss ZF Glass (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/480872-timelapse-shot-5d2-zeiss-zf-glass.html)

Andrew Walker June 24th, 2010 11:01 AM

Timelapse Shot with 5D2 + Zeiss ZF Glass

This timelapse video was shot using the 5D Mark 2 shot in RAW stills mode. The lenses that were used are the Canon 24mm 1.4 mk2, 80-200mm 2.8 Nikon Zoom and a set of Zeiss ZF prime lenses that are amazing. The frames were adjusted and complied in After Effects. Some of the locations are from Los Angeles and Yosemite. Edit: I just saw I posted this in the wrong section. If a mod could move it into the footage section that would be great.

The video:

Henry Olonga June 27th, 2010 04:18 PM

Andrew - that was epic man - great job

Marcus Marchesseault June 27th, 2010 06:23 PM

Andrew, this is a fantastic piece. I really liked the shots of the valley with the waterfall. The night scene was interesting with the busy bee effect with all the cars moving around then the daylight coming in to reveal the waterfall made it grandiose. I also really liked the clarity in the shot with the oil pump. What lens and setting did you use to get everything in such great focus?

Mike Watson June 28th, 2010 01:57 AM

Curious to know the raw workflow. Did you change exposure in post, and if so, how did you make it smooth?

Andrew Walker June 28th, 2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault (Post 1542977)
Andrew, this is a fantastic piece. I really liked the shots of the valley with the waterfall. The night scene was interesting with the busy bee effect with all the cars moving around then the daylight coming in to reveal the waterfall made it grandiose. I also really liked the clarity in the shot with the oil pump. What lens and setting did you use to get everything in such great focus?

The lens I used was the Canon 24mm 1.4 mk2, which is a lens I use a lot. Its worth every penny if you want to get into shooting star timelapse. I believe the iris was set to f2.2 and the ISO 3200 and they were 15 second exposures. I use a Zacuto Z-Finder to check focus when I'm setting up the shot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Watson (Post 1543045)
Curious to know the raw workflow. Did you change exposure in post, and if so, how did you make it smooth?

My workflow is this: Copy RAW files from the CF cards to the drive, import RAW frames into After Effects, put a 16:9 matte on the frames and change the color temp to whatever looks good, render out to ProRes 4444 1920x1080. The exposure rarely gets changed and I don't have it changing in the shots. The shots that look like they are going from night to day were shot going from a dark night to a moon lit night.

William Barclay June 30th, 2010 12:48 PM

Hi Andrew, really enjoyed this timelapse, wondered what your intervals were between exposures?
Cheers, Bill.

Andrew Walker June 30th, 2010 06:24 PM

The exposures were the intervals for most of the shots. As soon as the shutter closed it would open right up for another burn.

Caleb Royer July 3rd, 2010 11:29 AM

Truly Amazing! I've got to try it now.

How were you able to use the Battlestar Galactica music on your video?

What did you use to power your 5D II?

Andrew Walker July 9th, 2010 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caleb Royer (Post 1544896)
Truly Amazing! I've got to try it now.

How were you able to use the Battlestar Galactica music on your video?

What did you use to power your 5D II?

I can use the music under fair use. I don't have a copy of the law in front of me right now but I use it all the time on my videos to make sure the music stays on it. Even though its mainly a problem with Youtube. Plus Bear McCreary saw my video and liked it. So if he didn't want me to use it I'm sure he would have said so.

I used two Canon batteries to power my 5D2 using the grip.

Caleb Royer July 9th, 2010 01:05 PM

Thanks for the info Andrew.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Walker (Post 1546849)
I used two Canon batteries to power my 5D2 using the grip.

So that would give you about 800 photos, correct?

Andrew Walker July 11th, 2010 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caleb Royer (Post 1546864)
Thanks for the info Andrew.

So that would give you about 800 photos, correct?

With the grip running two fully charged batteries its more like 1600-2000 photos doing astro timelapse. Could be more than that in all honesty if your doing shorter run timelapses like the ones I shoot in the city.

Jeff Murray August 26th, 2010 03:59 AM

Brilliant

I love it - you captured these really well. I have real trouble getting those short intervals on a timelapse. I am only using the Kingston Elite Pro cards at 133x. I think I will have to move to a more expensive card with a higher data rate. As soon as I shoot RAW timelapse I have to leave at least a 2 or 3 second interval and the result is just too jumpy.

Well done you've done a great job.

With regards

Jeff

Andrew Walker August 26th, 2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Murray (Post 1562978)
I love it - you captured these really well. I have real trouble getting those short intervals on a timelapse. I am only using the Kingston Elite Pro cards at 133x. I think I will have to move to a more expensive card with a higher data rate. As soon as I shoot RAW timelapse I have to leave at least a 2 or 3 second interval and the result is just too jumpy.

Well done you've done a great job.

With regards

Jeff

Well I'm using the 32GB 133x Transcend card for all of these shots and they work just find. But I'm thinking of moving up to the 400x ones as they are only $10 more...or they use to be. Now the 400x are cheaper than the 133x on Amazon.