Timelapse Shot with 5D2 + Zeiss ZF Glass at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery

EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery
Post your 1D / 5D / 6D clips here... Vimeo links will automatically embed a player right in the post.

Old June 24th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #1
Timelapse Shot with 5D2 + Zeiss ZF Glass
Andrew Walker Andrew Walker is offline June 24th, 2010, 11:01 AM

This timelapse video was shot using the 5D Mark 2 shot in RAW stills mode. The lenses that were used are the Canon 24mm 1.4 mk2, 80-200mm 2.8 Nikon Zoom and a set of Zeiss ZF prime lenses that are amazing. The frames were adjusted and complied in After Effects. Some of the locations are from Los Angeles and Yosemite. Edit: I just saw I posted this in the wrong section. If a mod could move it into the footage section that would be great.

The video:

Last edited by Andrew Walker; June 24th, 2010 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: Put the video in wrong section

Andrew Walker
New Boot
Views: 4632
Old June 27th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #2
Major Player

Andrew - that was epic man - great job
Old June 27th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #3
Trustee

Andrew, this is a fantastic piece. I really liked the shots of the valley with the waterfall. The night scene was interesting with the busy bee effect with all the cars moving around then the daylight coming in to reveal the waterfall made it grandiose. I also really liked the clarity in the shot with the oil pump. What lens and setting did you use to get everything in such great focus?
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 01:57 AM   #4
Trustee

Curious to know the raw workflow. Did you change exposure in post, and if so, how did you make it smooth?
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 11:35 AM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault View Post
Andrew, this is a fantastic piece. I really liked the shots of the valley with the waterfall. The night scene was interesting with the busy bee effect with all the cars moving around then the daylight coming in to reveal the waterfall made it grandiose. I also really liked the clarity in the shot with the oil pump. What lens and setting did you use to get everything in such great focus?
The lens I used was the Canon 24mm 1.4 mk2, which is a lens I use a lot. Its worth every penny if you want to get into shooting star timelapse. I believe the iris was set to f2.2 and the ISO 3200 and they were 15 second exposures. I use a Zacuto Z-Finder to check focus when I'm setting up the shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Watson View Post
Curious to know the raw workflow. Did you change exposure in post, and if so, how did you make it smooth?
My workflow is this: Copy RAW files from the CF cards to the drive, import RAW frames into After Effects, put a 16:9 matte on the frames and change the color temp to whatever looks good, render out to ProRes 4444 1920x1080. The exposure rarely gets changed and I don't have it changing in the shots. The shots that look like they are going from night to day were shot going from a dark night to a moon lit night.
Andrew Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #6
New Boot

Hi Andrew, really enjoyed this timelapse, wondered what your intervals were between exposures?
Cheers, Bill.
William Barclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #7
New Boot

The exposures were the intervals for most of the shots. As soon as the shutter closed it would open right up for another burn.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 11:29 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Truly Amazing! I've got to try it now.

How were you able to use the Battlestar Galactica music on your video?

What did you use to power your 5D II?

Last edited by Caleb Royer; July 3rd, 2010 at 10:41 PM. Reason: added questions
Caleb Royer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 12:17 PM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Royer View Post
Truly Amazing! I've got to try it now.

How were you able to use the Battlestar Galactica music on your video?

What did you use to power your 5D II?
I can use the music under fair use. I don't have a copy of the law in front of me right now but I use it all the time on my videos to make sure the music stays on it. Even though its mainly a problem with Youtube. Plus Bear McCreary saw my video and liked it. So if he didn't want me to use it I'm sure he would have said so.

I used two Canon batteries to power my 5D2 using the grip.
Old July 9th, 2010, 01:05 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info Andrew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Walker View Post
I used two Canon batteries to power my 5D2 using the grip.
So that would give you about 800 photos, correct?
Old July 11th, 2010, 11:39 PM   #11
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Royer View Post
Thanks for the info Andrew.

So that would give you about 800 photos, correct?
With the grip running two fully charged batteries its more like 1600-2000 photos doing astro timelapse. Could be more than that in all honesty if your doing shorter run timelapses like the ones I shoot in the city.
Old August 26th, 2010, 03:59 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Brilliant

I love it - you captured these really well. I have real trouble getting those short intervals on a timelapse. I am only using the Kingston Elite Pro cards at 133x. I think I will have to move to a more expensive card with a higher data rate. As soon as I shoot RAW timelapse I have to leave at least a 2 or 3 second interval and the result is just too jumpy.

Well done you've done a great job.

With regards

Jeff
Jeff Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 04:04 PM   #13
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Murray View Post
I love it - you captured these really well. I have real trouble getting those short intervals on a timelapse. I am only using the Kingston Elite Pro cards at 133x. I think I will have to move to a more expensive card with a higher data rate. As soon as I shoot RAW timelapse I have to leave at least a 2 or 3 second interval and the result is just too jumpy.

Well done you've done a great job.

With regards

Jeff
Well I'm using the 32GB 133x Transcend card for all of these shots and they work just find. But I'm thinking of moving up to the 400x ones as they are only $10 more...or they use to be. Now the 400x are cheaper than the 133x on Amazon.
Andrew Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery