Reel featuring adidas spots needs critique at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery

EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery
Post your 1D / 5D / 6D clips here... Vimeo links will automatically embed a player right in the post.

Old January 4th, 2011, 01:30 AM   #1
Reel featuring adidas spots needs critique
Nickolas Duarte Nickolas Duarte is offline January 4th, 2011, 01:30 AM

This is our show reel from the past year, featuring some of the work we did for adidas. It was all shot on the 5D. We'll be using this reel as a presentation tool- something we can walk potential clients and agencies through while we explain each project (that's a big part of why it's at this length.)

I'm posting here for critique. Please let me know if you feel there's anything that should be omitted, shortened, reordered, etc. I thank you very much in advance.

Nickolas Duarte
New Boot
Views: 3235
Old January 6th, 2011, 07:41 AM   #2
Trustee

For a Show reel, I think it is far too long and would be more powerful if edited in a shorter version.

The sound quality is OK, but was not great in some clips, especially if you listen via headphones, and some background music needs to change more gradual (for example the sharp end of music on change of clip at 01:25 is jarring).

Some very nice work, and I like the stadium step climb.

The one thing I see too often in DSLR filming, as in this Show Reel, is unsteady frame and camera shake. A little is OK, but far too much in my opnion and would benefit from smoother video with maybe more glidecam/steadicam/tripod footage and less shaky handheld stuff.
Old January 12th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #3
New Boot

Thank you Tony for the thoughts. I definitely appreciate it. I have been debating about the length. I think if the ultimate goal was web-placement, then without a doubt it would need to be shorter. Even as a presentation tool, it might be better to shorten it and then present afterward. As opposed to talking during.

Definitely agree that the whole thing could use another run at the sound mix. The levels definitely need to be reworked.

I do appreciate your thoughts on the handheld work. I do think it's more of a personal aesthetic choice though, because I honestly enjoy it greatly in other videos as well. Even if it's not technically sound.

Again, thank you for taking the time to review.
Nickolas Duarte is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery