DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Girls, Guns, and a 5D (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/503804-girls-guns-5d.html)

Alik Griffin December 22nd, 2011 03:24 PM

Girls, Guns, and a 5D

I love the 5D and here is why. :)

An Ultra Violent Xmas Story - YouTube

Ken Diewert December 27th, 2011 12:22 PM

Re: Girls, Guns, and a 5D

Alik,

That's not my thing, but it is very good for what it is. And you are getting better at it.

Keep at it...

Charles Newcomb December 27th, 2011 05:08 PM

If you had ever actually been in a firefight, seen anyone shot to pieces, or heard the sound of bullets tearing through human flesh (I have), you might not find this as funny as you seem to.

I for one don't get the attraction. But I'm only one person, so...

Noa Put December 28th, 2011 03:39 AM

It's just a movie charles :)

This type of film is not my cup of tea either but must say the images look nice and colorful.

Jordan Brindle January 8th, 2012 02:21 PM

In my most humble opinion, i've seen much better use of the 5D.

Brian David Melnyk January 9th, 2012 05:28 AM

i view this piece as a reflection of how a militarized, 'reality' tv infested, casually violent, and demeaning/objectifying to women society has pushed the lowest common denominator infinitely lower.
it made me really sad, and 'it's just a movie' somehow diminishes the role media has played in the decay of societal values and vise versa.
i too love the 5D, and would like to see it rather used for a better purpose.
i understand that this forum is not one for politics, but i do think that a discussion of media's role in society should have some small place here.
As creators, i think we have a responsibility to be open to such a discussion about what we create, why we create it, and what we think it brings to world (or what it takes away from it...).
Moderators: please do not delete this post.
Alik: i would love to hear about your creative vision, and please do not take personal offence to my critique.

Ken Diewert January 9th, 2012 11:39 AM

This is a worthy discussion, and I hope the mods leave it. Alik's piece is a good example of the exploitation of both Sex and Violence. And it is ironic that real soldiers die, and real families suffer tragic losses while defending the rights of freedom that include the right for artistic expression.

"I don't agree with what you say, but will defend to the death, your right to say it".

My sense is that Alik and his friends are young, don't have the sensibility to realize that their time and talents could be spent on something that would have a more positive influence.

In contrast, here is link to a piece I recently watched called "Playing Soldier", that was produced by a 16-year old DVi memeber, Michael Rees.

Playing Soldier - Short Film by Michael Rees - YouTube

Charles Newcomb January 9th, 2012 01:08 PM

Playing Soldier was a nicely done piece, especially given the age of its creator.

There are some war movies that are very well done... Saving Private Ryan comes to mind.

I'll get off my soap box now.

Oo-rah,
"Doc" I-Corps, '66-'68

Alik Griffin February 2nd, 2012 09:56 PM

It's just a parody on the Christmas story, we just took it a step further to try something a little more experimental and bold. Yea I do agree with you Charles, It did come out a bit more violent then we wanted it too. We definitely didn't mean to offend anyone. I can't imagine what it would be like to live through a violent situation like what you've been in, and hope I never have too. Thanks for watching, and I appreciate the feedback.
I'm posting something a little more upbeat shoot on the 5D that I think you will like.