In and Out of Africa at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 26th, 2010, 03:50 AM   #1
Trustee

In and Out of Africa

Here is a short movie that I created using the Sony EX3 camera. Quality has been reduced for smaller file size. The film lasts for 14 minutes (outside the limites for YouTube and Vimeo etc,) so I have placed it on my own site.

Africa House Safaris
Old April 26th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #2
Major Player

Beautifully done. I can tell that was a long shoot. I especially like the giraffe video.
Was all shot with available light? I assume you wanted to travel relatively light.
Audio off shotgun only?

Very nice piece
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #3
Trustee

Yes, all shot with available light and many of the shots were hand held for speed. I did take a Rode mike with me but never used it. Most of the sound was captured with the built in EX3 mike, although I did do a couple of wild track recordings using a Sony PCM-D50 (the bird twitter heard at the begining) The PCM-D50 is a very good recorder but you can't use it outside, the stereo mikes will pick up the slightest of breezes. The bird recording was made from within my room to cut down on wind rumble etc.

It was always my intention to lay down a music track and voice over, so the ambient sounds had to be kept to a minimum. Audio was edited using Adobe Audition 2
Old April 26th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #4
Major Player

it's loading VERY slow but what part I was able to watch looked really nice! That must have been an incredible trip!
Old April 26th, 2010, 07:43 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Great work Vincent! You got some amazing shots, and carried the story and purpose really well. I thought the elephant herd shots were crystal clear, you could see every wrinkle. It's nice to see what the EX3 can do. Again, excellent job. BTW, I went ahead and purchased the 193 for my travels, and took off the mike holder as you suggested, and it's working great.

Jem
Old April 27th, 2010, 12:02 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Phairas View Post
it's loading VERY slow but what part I was able to watch looked really nice! That must have been an incredible trip!
The file is quite large but should stream OK, as this is a new item there is a large demand being made on my server, you may find it faster at different times.
Old April 27th, 2010, 02:47 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Vincent. I congratulate you. Stunning stuff and great voice over by that guy (as already noted on another thread). I too loved the giraffe shots near the end! Loads just fine (on my typically anywhere between 2 to 6Mbps Broadband connection - kids all at school so nearer 6!).
Old April 27th, 2010, 03:15 AM   #8
Trustee

Thanks Andy, the production was great fun but lots of hard work. One bonus - it got me out of doing the Christmas shopping - I returned on December 24th :-)
Old April 28th, 2010, 02:45 PM   #9
Major Player

Wow, very nice Vincent - congratulations!
Old April 28th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #10
Major Player

Great video.
Was looking forward to seeing it after looking at the stills.
Thanks
Old April 29th, 2010, 12:35 AM   #11
Trustee

Thank you Bob and Zsolt,

I shot stacks of video footage for the assignment, and as with many other jobs the vast majority ended up on the cutting room floor. This was due to editorial control by the client, i.e. they needed to show off the accomodation etc. I f I get some spare time I will put together another cut, it will be my version without any other influence.

Am working on another two DVDs at the moment (different subjects).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds