Minimum laptop (Mac) specs to PLAY DVCPROHD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 29th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Minimum laptop (Mac) specs to PLAY DVCPROHD?

Hi,
i've not enough budget for an F100, so i'm opting for a portable Mac to which i will copy the P2 data from my HVX200. To veryfy the footage, the laptop should be able at least to playback the DVCPRO HD footage.

So is a simple iBook enough to playback a DVCPRO HD footage from internal HD (5400 RPM) or should i use a PowerBook?
Thanks
Giovanni Speranza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 02:41 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Depends on which resolution and data rate its at, but I'd never EVER trust a 5400 to do anything with video...I'd say its doubtfull, get a small external FW800 or esata drive to go with the book.
Jamie Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 07:49 AM   #3
Major Player

HD recording ...

You should be looking at an intel laptop 2.4 CPU with 1900 X 1200 screen and internal 200 gigger , 7200 spin cycle hard drive ~ 4 gigs of ram. Add one firewire 800 200 gig external hard drive. shoot, edit or playback. That should do the trick!
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 08:00 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Technically an iBook might be adequate but a Macbook Pro would be preferable for several reasons. As far as hard drives are concerned, a 5400 RPM drive should be able to play a single layer of DVCProHD footage if the drive is kept defragmented and there isn't anything else bottlenecking the system. The maximum bandwidth of DVCProHD is about 12.5 MB/sec, which is well within the throughput capacity of almost any modern hard drive.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 09:16 AM   #5
Major Player

I haven't seen a P2 software that plays DVCPRO-HD video at full frame rate and full resolution. Panasonic software either plays video at half frame rate OR half resolution at full screen.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 11:31 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TingSern Wong View Post
I haven't seen a P2 software that plays DVCPRO-HD video at full frame rate and full resolution. Panasonic software either plays video at half frame rate OR half resolution at full screen.
I have. Quicktime Pro. FCP. DVCPRO HD is generally pretty easy for these, with a halfway recent machine.

An old iBook would have trouble with DVCPRO HD, especially a G4. A G5 iBook would probably be ok. A Macbook would work fine.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics