Cheapest Tapeless Solution? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics

Old December 26th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cheapest Tapeless Solution?

Without wasting time going into all the details... I'm looking for a good, inexpensive Direct-to-disk DV recorder. I plan to use it in the field with a JVC GY-DV500.

Recorders like the FireStore FS-4 all seem to start at about $700 anymore, but I could have sworn I'd seen a hard disk recorder in the $400 range a couple months back. Can anyone point me toward a less expensive solution, or am I going to have to shell out $700 for a FireStore?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Eric Wotila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #2
Major Player

Eric,
I would highly suggest getting an FS-3 or DR-DV5000 unit for your camera. It was made to hook on the back and it has removeable hard drives. You can probably find a good used unit somewhere, maybe on fleabay. The FS-4 is going to be to cumbersome, especially with a full size camera like the 500.
Kit
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 12:25 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Put Scopebox on a powerbook :-)

We use it in studio all the time and it works a treat!
John Colette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 09:50 PM   #4
Major Player

Windows Vista has a built-in program for very basic capturing. I don't know if you camera is HD or if the program even handles HD, but it's free (included) with Vista. I've never used it, but I'm sure it's about as basic as they come.... but meets your cost expectations.
Lloyd Claycomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 09:03 PM   #5
Major Player

$700 isn't out of my price range. Will that work with a Canon HV20? Is there anything that's cheaper than the FS-4, and does it connect to the tripod?
Brian Boyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:25 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I sometimes use my 5 year old laptop (AMD Athlon XP2500+ with a 5400rpm 40GB hard drive) to record direct to disk, using a freeware utility called WinDV. I've even piped through that laptop, to an external USB drive, successfully. It works fine, as long as the disk is defragged and no other programs are running. WinDV buffers the video, which helps prevent dropouts.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 09:11 AM   #7
Major Player

I'm new to this tapeless stuff but.....Is there any way to record HDV directly to a disc in a Lossless way. I know there probably is a way but how do you do it???? Using what equipment???? Any help explaining this to me is appreciated. Or please direct me to articles explaining this, etc. Thanks.
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 03:24 PM   #8
Major Player

On a PC, you can use Vegas or, for free, VLC.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 07:07 PM   #9
Major Player

VLC on a PC for free sounds good to me.
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 02:23 PM   #10
Inner Circle

If you use VLC to capture, be sure to make a copy the captured file (or change the name of the file you capture to in VLC) as soon as you stop the capture. Otherwise, if you start capturing again, the previously captured file will be overwritten and lost.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 07:37 PM   #11
New Boot

on a Mac use DV video pro

or HD Video pro. It's a software solution but has much acclaim. I use it myself (the DV version). Lets you calibrate the monitor and check focus, too, plus the file management is simplyfied: log while you shoot. Google it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics