Onlocation Monitor problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics

Old February 3rd, 2008, 01:23 PM   #1
Major Player

Onlocation Monitor problems

I have Adobe Onlocation on my laptop connected to my Canon A1. I cannot get ANY of the monitors to work (display monitors, vectors, etc.). I have connected other cameras to the laptop to see if it was a camera problem, but I get the same results with each.

I CAN, however, press the record button in OL and get a recording (which I cannot see from within the program monitor). These recordings are in fact recording because I can view them afterwards in Windows Media and others. However, I CANNOT see any monitor or ANYTHING from within the program. Onlocation detects my cameras I connect but doesn't do much more than that.

Any suggestions? I have disabled my secondary monitor.

I'm on Vista 32bit, Intel Core2 CPU, 2.0 Ghz, 2GB Ram, 100GB+ available HD space. I have all the latest Windows updates and video driver updates.

Thanks.
Lloyd Claycomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 01:50 PM   #2
Major Player

As a follow up, I just installed it (Adobe OL) on my Vista desktop (cuad-core, 4GB ram), and everything works fine. But the laptop still doesn't.

Last edited by Lloyd Claycomb; February 3rd, 2008 at 04:57 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 10:20 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I've managed to mostly avoid Vista so far, but if you were on XP I'd suggest that you look at graphics hardware acceleration properties that are managed by Windows.

I'm not sure where you find this in Vista. One place to look is in Controls | Display Settings | Advanced | Troubleshoot | Hardware Acceleration. The idea here is that you lower video acceleration one notch at a time until you see video. You might need to reboot OnLocation each time you change this setting.

The fact that you can record but not see video indicates a problem with the video overlay layer... which the above settings can help with.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 10:35 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks. I've done all that. The thing about it is I not only don't have access to my display monitor, but NONE of the monitors seem to "monitor" anything. I have no vector formations, no audio detection, no..... well you get my point. I have NOTHING.

The only thing I have is OL recognizing my camera, and that's just about it (oh, and the bit about it recording without any display. In fact, I can't even review the video from within OL, I have too see it through another program).

Thanks! I'm going to take a second look at you suggestions and see if I happened to miss something. Fingers are crossed.
Old February 4th, 2008, 01:56 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Firewire drivers? Is your firewire true OHCI compliant?

If this turns out to be traceable to firewire, all is not lost for your laptop, you could use a PC-card (or express card) firewire interface with it. If so, beware of frying camera firewire interface if your PC firewire plug is 6-pin, camera must be turned off during hookups, ultra-conservatively the laptop would be off as well.
Old February 4th, 2008, 09:52 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
Firewire drivers? Is your firewire true OHCI compliant?

If this turns out to be traceable to firewire, all is not lost for your laptop, you could use a PC-card (or express card) firewire interface with it. If so, beware of frying camera firewire interface if your PC firewire plug is 6-pin, camera must be turned off during hookups, ultra-conservatively the laptop would be off as well.
Thanks, but just double checked the firewire drivers... all updated.

Bummer.... Maybe I need to "upgrade" from Vista to XP?
Old February 5th, 2008, 02:11 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Lloyd, I'd exhaust all avenues with Adobe tech support before redoing your system (and possibly OnLoc still not working...). Dual boot?
Old February 5th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #8
Trustee

Don't mean this as an insult, but are you sure the correct source is selected in the menu?

My soundcard was somehow listed as the default source.
Old February 5th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cascio View Post
Don't mean this as an insult, but are you sure the correct source is selected in the menu?

My soundcard was somehow listed as the default source.
Yeah, everything is selected right. I have the same program running on my Desktop (shows my soundcard as a source too... Weird!) I have my camera selected.
Lloyd Claycomb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics