New HDV hard disc recording device... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 19th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New HDV hard disc recording device...

Has anyone seen or used anything from this company? I will be purchasing a Firestore device within the next month and want to know how this compares to the Focus Enhancements FS4 PRO HD or the Focus Canon Firestore...

http://mcetech.com/quickstreamdv-hdv/index.html

I do like the design of this. I was originally looking into the Canon Firestore with the BeBob holder, but everyone complains you can't adjust settings while it is in the BeBob, which is why I kind of like this.

Thoughts?
Kellen Dengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I wonder if it would do 30f/24f modes. My guess would be no.
Mike Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

That is my concern exactly because it is priced about the same as the Focus FS4PRO HD and that one does not...
Old February 19th, 2008, 09:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

If the A1 is in 24f mode, wouldn't that come through the firewire in 24f and on to the recorder in 24f?

This would be something I would definitly want. Imagine... no more dirty heads.

-John
John B. Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 07:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Update....

Ok, I just finished talking to MCE and I was told that the device will record the video in whatever mode the camera is in. So if you are recording in 24f then that's the way it will be saved on the HD.

I also asked if they were aware of any issues or compatitablity problems with A1 and he said that the device is 100% compatitable with the A1.

I am really considering getting this in the near future. There are a lot of advantages in using this.

-John
John B. Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 07:57 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Wow! That is awesome news John. Because before this you would need to buy an FSC-60 or 100 ($1200 - $1700) and a Bebob holster ($300) and you can do both of what those 2 things do for less than a grand. I'M SOLD!
Old February 20th, 2008, 08:41 PM   #7
Regular Crew

That is good news! I will definitely consider buying one if everything checks out well!
Mike Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:06 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I couldn't find a price on their site, but how much are these generally going for?
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 12:10 AM   #9
Tourist

Sounds very interesting for me, too.

But two disappointing that I noticed:

1. I can see no display or indicator that shows recorded time, remaining disk capacity etc.

2. The technical specifications say the disk is formatted FAT32. So this would mean a maximum file size of 4 GB ... :-(
Ralf Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 08:13 AM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

According to their site, the pricing breaks down as follows:

QSDV-HDV-360 MCE QuickStream DV/HDV - 6 Hour $799.00
QSDV-HDV-540 MCE QuickStream DV/HDV - 9 Hour $999.00

Extra batteries are $99/each.

Wonder how this compares to the nNovia QC line...?

By the way this is not a new company... we used to have a dedicated MCE QuickStream forum here at DV Info Net; you'll find it in our Archives section.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 11:34 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Yeah I have heard of Quickstream before, but this HDV unit is brand new. It just came out like a week or 2 ago.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 03:27 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quickstream

This looks very similar to the Citidisk, which I own. If it's made by the same manufacturer then you may have problems with the device losing footage whenever something goes wrong (i.e. when the firewire cable comes loose, when you turn off the camera before you turn off the capture device, or if the power shuts down before turning off the capture device).

I'd recommend testing it thoroughly with the camera(s) you'll be using it with before using it out in the field.
Gary Burlingame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf Goetz View Post

1. I can see no display or indicator that shows recorded time, remaining disk capacity etc.

2. The technical specifications say the disk is formatted FAT32. So this would mean a maximum file size of 4 GB ... :-(
Point 1 I could see it being a big issue. Point 2 you could just "butt up" the clips to make them seemless on the timeline. In my view, having 4GB files would make them easier to back up to DVD :).

I've been waiting for something like this to come out. Gonna get this as soon as the budget allows.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Not true

Max size for fat32 is actually around 128GB. I upgraded my 40GB firestore to 120GB and partitioned the drive using the unit. The unit supports only FAT32.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf Goetz View Post

Old February 25th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalulu Ngilo View Post
Max size for fat32 is actually around 128GB. I upgraded my 40GB firestore to 120GB and partitioned the drive using the unit. The unit supports only FAT32.
I think you're talking about the maximum partition size... not the maximum file size, which is 4GB (minus 1 byte) for FAT32.

(source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table)

Last edited by Julian Frost; February 25th, 2008 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Provide source
Julian Frost is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics