DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   External Recording Various Topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/external-recording-various-topics/)
-   -   Head/Transport repair orrr... DTD gear? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/external-recording-various-topics/118456-head-transport-repair-orrr-dtd-gear.html)

Marc Frechette April 3rd, 2008 12:40 AM

Head/Transport repair orrr... DTD gear?

So, my VX2000 finally gave up on me. It started off recording fine (but unable to playback w/out audio dropout), and after about a month or so it no longer records properly (tapes played back on a deck).
So, for about $600 I can send it in to Sony and all will be well...
However, for about the same I can step into a low level DTD system.
What to do, what to do...
Well, fact is the VX2000 must be recording to a tape in order for a tapeless system to work. Fun. However, if I don't NEED the tape (all HDD) then this doesn't matter.
Counter-point, I've heard nightmare story after nightmare story about the overall finiicky attitudes of FireStores and CitiDisk and... well... all of them. The concensus is that putting all your eggs in one basket simply won't do.
Ideally, I would love to repair and get a firestore, mce, what have you... but my money tree seems to be a bit barren as of late.
So, after days of intense forum hopping and ebaying and the ever dangerous self diagnostics, I'm putting it up for opinion.
The question here is to repair the vx2000 to it's former glory, or bypass it's messy transport system and head problems and go straight to hdd.

Rules:
1) Sub $1000 cost.
2) I can't afford a new HDD HD prosumer wet dream of a camera.
3) Donations gladly accepted in the form of blank checks OR constructive opinions.

Thanks for your inputs!
Marc

Mike Meyerson April 3rd, 2008 09:34 AM

IMO, since money is a big factor, I'd just get it fixed. Since you say it must record to tape in order for a tapeless system to work, I'd be worried about problems going tapeless if things aren't recording right on the tape (like timecode problems or whatever).

If you are going tapeless, I'd wait until you could afford a nNovia drive. They're a little more $$, but from what I've read they're better.

Marc Frechette April 3rd, 2008 11:33 AM

yeah...

My thoughts were heading that way too. I was hoping somebody had already recorded to a DTE system and found that it was truly independant of the tape. All my research is pushing me towards the nNovia (though the firestores are upgradable.) I'm trying to snag the Sony HDD recorder (can't remember the model #) because it uses the same batteries as my camera, and I already have 3 of those kicking around.
Lol, what the heck is taking so long with the Catapult!?

Mike Meyerson April 3rd, 2008 11:44 AM

Although I don't really know much about the VX2000, as far as I know, the nNovia's can record independently without going to tape. They also make a small camera mount that take Sony L series batteries.

I've been in contact with them about purchasing a setup for my canon XLh1...they now offer a bundle price for the drive and mount and are currently offering a rebate. I can email you the info they sent me if you want...it's still a little over your $1000 budget...but it's close.

Perrone Ford April 3rd, 2008 12:08 PM

Well, I don't know about your camera, but my Firestore has been working beautifully for a year and a half. No problems whatsoever. I haven't put a tape in my DVX100 in a year, and I don't miss it at ALL!

I can also record in raw DV, AVI, Quicktime, OMF, and something else I can't remember. And I get 6 hours of recording time. It also has a pre-record function if you want so that you don't miss the beginning of things.

I wouldn't trade it for anything in the same price range.