DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   External Recording Various Topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/external-recording-various-topics/)
-   -   Use of a PVR dvd recorder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/external-recording-various-topics/119341-use-pvr-dvd-recorder.html)

John Estcourt April 14th, 2008 03:38 AM

Use of a PVR dvd recorder

Hi after discussing how a company were offering same day DVDs on the event forum and then watching them using a PVR dvd recorder i did a search on this forum to see if other people have tried this method.I didnt find much discussion except from a couple of years ago (maybe i missed it?)
However has anyone successfully done this. The company i watched used AV leads out into the PVR and having watched the dvd it stutters quite a lot in all my players , picture quality is ok sort of (on my 28 inch crt TV) . I see that some PVRs offer dv input any thoughts on the subject as its not something I had thought viable...if this has been discussed before ..sorry..thanks john

Colin McDonald April 14th, 2008 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Estcourt (Post 859804)
Hi after discussing how a company were offering same day DVDs on the event forum and then watching them using a PVR dvd recorder i did a search on this forum to see if other people have tried this method.I didnt find much discussion except from a couple of years ago (maybe i missed it?)
However has anyone successfully done this. The company i watched used AV leads out into the PVR and having watched the dvd it stutters quite a lot in all my players , picture quality is ok sort of (on my 28 inch crt TV) . I see that some PVRs offer dv input any thoughts on the subject as its not something I had thought viable...if this has been discussed before ..sorry..thanks john

John,
I have to record a lot of shows/concerts etc at school and church services.
To speed up making DVDs I now use a separate domestic DVD recorder - a Philips DVDR3460H which I bought in Costco. It has a built in 250 GB Hard Drive and inputs are composite/S video/Firewire. I use the Firewire and my workflow is either:

(a) Record straight from the camera to a DVD
Pros: DVD ready as soon as I stop filming (just needs 'finished' - a couple of minutes) Much much faster than using a computer.
Cons: Not much editing possible - OK for simple shows like church Services. No fancy menus possible in final DVD, and basic time interval chapters only.

Estimate for a 1 hour service - 10 mins (plus the 1 hour of course) for the master copy.

(b) Record straight from the camera to the 250 GB HD first before burning to DVD
Pros: Can be 'topped and tailed' - bits can be cut out before burning to disk. I can have simple separate titles pre prepared for inclusion as separate files on the HD and include them in the burn. Still faster than via computer.
Cons: Takes a little longer than above - editing time plus another 10/15 minutes to burn the disk afterwards.
Again, no fancy menus possible in final DVD and basic time interval chapters only.
Estimate for a 1 hour service - 30 mins for the first or master copy.

(c) Record from multiple cameras via vision mixer to the 250 GB HD first before burning to DVD
Pros: Full live multi camera mixing then can be 'topped and tailed' as above.
Cons: As above plus increased stress unless a team effort. I have done this all myself using remote controls on 2 of the cameras while working the mixer. Not recommended!

When using the vision mixer, I can run prepared title sequences and mix them in on the fly from a separate DVD player connected to the mixer.

For better results, I still edit some shows/services the conventional way and import the footage to FCE or (iMovie for simple projects).

John Estcourt April 14th, 2008 06:27 AM

thanks for the reply colin, I see you have firewire input so how do you rate the quality of the picture compared to the usual capture to tape- pc-then render method. I suppose you dont have too much fast motion in the final dvd but how do you think the mpeg compression holds up. Also what about compatability with other players and final question (phew) when you capture to the hard drive I assume that is still mpeg2..many thanks john

Colin McDonald April 14th, 2008 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Estcourt (Post 859862)
thanks for the reply colin, I see you have firewire input so how do you rate the quality of the picture compared to the usual capture to tape- pc-then render method. I suppose you dont have too much fast motion in the final dvd but how do you think the mpeg compression holds up.

The Philips DVDR3460H has several levels of compression which you have to set in advance before recording - from HQ giving 1 hour to Super Extended Play giving 8 hours.

I've used the first 3 (HQ/1 hour; Standard Play/2 hours; Standard Play Plus/2.5 hours) and they are all fine for normal watching but obviously HQ is best. The 8 hour setting will be unspeakable of course.

Quote:

Also what about compatability with other players

Once the disks are finished they play fine on any DVD player or computer I've used. I've passed on lots of copies to kids and adults and no complaints yet about DVDs not playing. (Lots of moans about kids passing scratched copies on to others though - why don't they keep them in the sleeves I supply)?

Quote:

and final question (phew) when you capture to the hard drive I assume that is still mpeg2..many thanks john

It is indeed. This means that the 250 GB drive can hold a zillion recordings. It also means that it's not worth trying to edit it on computer once it's recorded on the Philips, mpeg2 being as it is. Also the Philips DVDR3460H doesn't let you have access to the hard drive, only play and burn from it. So I'd have to burn a DVD then rip it before editing on computer - can't be bothered as I've got a Firestore to capture to if I want.

If it helps I could email you the pdf users' manual.

Sorry John, I forgot you were so near at hand. If you like I could burn a DVD of something and post it to you. Let me know.

John Estcourt April 15th, 2008 06:18 AM

thanks colin, googled it and got the pdf from philips..its certainly interesting and I can see the benefit for work that doesnt require editing and quick delivery ..out of interest what cameras do you use..cheers john

Colin McDonald April 15th, 2008 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Estcourt (Post 860766)
thanks colin, googled it and got the pdf from philips..its certainly interesting and I can see the benefit for work that doesnt require editing and quick delivery ..out of interest what cameras do you use..cheers john

Used to be consumer Sonys like the DCRTRV25E. Have my own canon XH-A1 now and have acquired Canon HV30s for use at work. Still do mostly SD and will for some time - just introducing 16:9 SD but looking ahead hence the HD capability.