recording to usb 16 gig thumb drive at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics

Old April 29th, 2008, 05:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

recording to usb 16 gig thumb drive

I just used my desktop to capture raw avi flies to my 16 gig thumb drive. It won't play back on the thumb drive without jumping, but transfering the video footage to the hard drive it plays without a glitch. Is this a reliable way to record? Anyone ever use a laptop with this method?
Dan Gonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #2
Trustee

Yes I have used this method. Is it reliable? Not in my opinion, at least not for crucial projects. It jumps due to the lower bandwidth of USB as IDE/SATA interfaces are much faster. I would recommend capturing to hard disk and using the thumb drive for transfer (sneaker-netting) only. IMHO
Old April 29th, 2008, 06:37 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Dan,

I agree with Macro.

USB is not a great tool for recording video. Firewire is specifically designed for this purpose, while USB can not guarantee the proper bandwidth for your data.

I would not risk any important footage, but it is certainly ok to test.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics