DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   External Recording Various Topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/external-recording-various-topics/)
-   -   A new HD Recorder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/external-recording-various-topics/121022-new-hd-recorder.html)

Tim Polster May 6th, 2008 07:33 AM

A new HD Recorder

I was tipped to this on another site: http://ffv.com/page/videoproducts.htm

This unit, "Elite HD" records to laptop hard drives using the Jpeg2000 codec at 100 Mbps.

It does not mention 1080p though, only 1080i and 720p.

I called the company and was told 7 hours of recording with a 300 gig drive.

Supposed to be shipping in six weeks.

Reg Carter May 6th, 2008 09:33 AM

Elite HD

Did they mention the price?
Reg

Benjamin Richardson May 6th, 2008 09:44 AM

If my memory is correct the rep I spoke to at NAB said $6,000.

Tim Polster May 6th, 2008 10:19 AM

Yes, they told me $6,000 yesterday as well.

Dean Harrington May 21st, 2008 03:21 PM

There just has to be ...

some realism thrown into the mix here! The unit sounds good but is way over priced. A portable HD/SDI connected mobile hard drive recording solution should costs around $2,000 at tops!

Tim Polster May 21st, 2008 03:29 PM

I agree, but maybe in a year or two!

First to market will be the highest price.

I don't know the codec licensing fees & R&D costs, but $6,000 seems expensive when laptops along with a screen cost $700.

Must be volume of sales.

Dean Harrington May 21st, 2008 03:50 PM

R&d ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Polster (Post 881247)
I agree, but maybe in a year or two!

First to market will be the highest price.

I don't know the codec licensing fees & R&D costs, but $6,000 seems expensive when laptops along with a screen cost $700.

Must be volume of sales.

I agree that a company wants to recoup as much money put into R&D and fees for licensing codecs ASAP but heaven forbid! There has to be some realism in the plan. A unit that does just one thing and that is to record 4.2.2 via HD/SDI into removable 2.5 hard drives is a wonderful concept but at that price point we are talking about a fully tricked out laptop computer that does much more! Volume on sales of a specialized item has it's obvious limits but we are talking about a stable market that is for all intents and purposes growing! The Elite HD is beautiful and I for one would love to have one but I just can't validate the price point!

Tim Polster May 21st, 2008 05:43 PM

I wish somebody made a tricked out laptop with an SDI input as well as the LCD screen being setup to live monitor.

That would be great.

A smaller model with a 9" screen and a couple of fast hard drives would be quite useful.

Brian Drysdale May 22nd, 2008 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Polster (Post 881247)

Must be volume of sales.

I don't think you can compare niche products with mass produced electronic goods made in China. However, given the market they're aiming at 1080p with frame rates other than standard broadcast should part of the spec.

If you could fit one on a EX3, you could have a good set up if this had 1080p. Although, you'd need to do your sums in case you start nosing some higher end cameras without any real gains. You'd also need to consider editing JPEG 2000, although this is now being used in other systems.

There are loads of filming situations where a laptop isn't practical. Although, I know people who record DVPRO HD from a JVC HD 250 using the HD SDI out and recording onto a laptop.

Tim Polster May 22nd, 2008 03:44 PM

Well I mention the Laptop idea because I really prefer to always have an external monitor, no matter what I am shooting if I can get away with it.

The Laptop would have capture and monitoring in a small package.